Marathons in Heaven | Teen Ink

Marathons in Heaven

December 14, 2018
By logangg710 GOLD, Georgetown, Texas
logangg710 GOLD, Georgetown, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If you know me, or if you’ve read some of my writing, you’re probably aware of the fact that I lack the ability to walk without extra help. Because of this, I’ve spent my whole life in a wheelchair. Yes, it’s very tough not being able to do everything my friends are doing, go everywhere I want to go, and even daily life tasks, like getting myself dressed, because of my disability Sometimes, I think to myself, “Why can’t I just be a normal teenager? Why can’t I go on this trip, or to that birthday party?” Why, why, why? It’s a struggle to be different, as history has consistently shown us. There’s a pathway to hope and joy through that struggle, though. It is not meant to be taken alone.

 

As I’ve written about previously, I’m a Christian. What that means to me is that I’ve come from a broken spirit, having made countless mistakes and bending to my own selfish desires, to trusting in God, the all-powerful, wise, loving Being who created us. By trusting in Him, I’ve put my hope in Jesus Christ, the completely perfect physical form of God, who, in dying for all mankind, forgave every single one of our sins, past, present and future. Once we accept Christ as Savior, we are made new and are given assurance of a forever relationship with Him, as well as eternal life in Heaven when we die here on Earth. The beauty of hope in Jesus is that whatever we go through, we know that His spirit is there inside us, guiding us through thick and thin, lifting us up (or humbling us) when appropriate. Moreover, I know that since God knows everything big and small about His Creation, and since it is in His Word, that He has a plan for me. All that to say, I don't constantly mope around because of my disability. God created me this way for a reason, just like He did for all of us. I have to do my best to follow Him until I carry out that purpose. Whatever comes my way, I've got God looking after me, how bad could it be? Plus, is being sad all the time going to help me get stronger and learn how to be independent? Heck no! Jesus took on the worst death possible so that we could live with joy despite our imperfections and mess-ups. For that, what we are commanded to do as Christians is live like him. We have to live loving others, befriending the outcasts and teaching anyone who will listen of the grace and forgiveness God gives. Remember when I mentioned eternal life in Heaven earlier? Besides the positive of not suffering in Hell, which is a gigantic deal, don't get me wrong, the Bible also makes it clear that Heaven will be without pain, suffering, sorrow, fear and any imperfections. That means NO DISABILITY!!! I don't know about you, but when I get to Heaven, you can bet I'll be running all over the place!