Through Compassion: One Way to Change the World | Teen Ink

Through Compassion: One Way to Change the World

June 7, 2018
By panda06 BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts
panda06 BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Our planet is filled with over seven billion humans who strive to make a difference. We recycle, donate, and advocate daily. But we tend to only focus on the issues that impact ourselves. Important issues that impact others, such as poverty, cannot be forgotten.

Many people help others by donating to clothing drives or local food banks. But while donations support one in improving living conditions, they do not encourage one to be able to provide for themselves. Simply donating is not enough. The only way to make a difference is by showing compassion towards poverty-stricken populations, especially on a local scale. Helping children in Africa out of poverty is necessary, but helping poverty-stricken people living nearby is just as important.

People are scared to interact with homeless people because they look filthy and drunk. According to the Bassuk Center, “the rates of mental illness among the homeless in the United States are twice the rate found for the general population” (Bassuk). The reason why these poor people become negative towards themselves and others is because they are not cared for. These strangers, our neighbors, need our care and compassion more than they desire our money. They crave to be noticed as someone more than a beggar. Try talking to them for a minute before you hand them a dollar or two. Undoubtedly, it will make their day, and yours too.

Moreover, in our twisted society, we tend to demean people more when they feel discouraged. When homeless people search for jobs, managers reject them because they don’t want customers feeling uncomfortable. We need to stop dragging people further down and start encouraging them.

We are the reason why homeless people stay homeless. What makes these underprivileged people different from us? Are we so selfish to think it is not our responsibility to aid these people? By ignoring the problem and being a bystander, we are contributing to the deeper issue of one’s value. These people are important. Their lives matter as much as everyone else’s and deserve to have a second chance at living a fulfilling life. As a letter to the New York Times states, “We, as a society, have a responsibility to provide the means to break the cycle of poverty” (McDonald). We CANNOT stand by and watch people suffer. We are all responsible for poverty.

We, lucky enough to eat food every night, need to show how much we care for the people around us. In addition to donating internationally, we need to give in person. By raising one local stranger out of poverty, we inspire others to work hard to do the same. One person at a time, we can change the world through compassion.

Works Cited

“Health and Homelessness.” American Psychological Association, American Psychological Association.


The author's comments:

I really believe that the only way to stop poverty is little by little, through treating poverty-stricken people with love and compassion. Without these feelings of love and belonging, it is difficult for them to be integrated, as regular citizens, into society. We need to bring these minorities up, instead of bringing them down. #makeachange!! #bethedifference!!