Getting Rid of Child Labor | Teen Ink

Getting Rid of Child Labor

February 21, 2018
By rysav24 BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
rysav24 BRONZE, Cedar City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Tired eyes, calloused hands, and worn out boys and girls. This is the reality of the lives of many children around the world. After a long, difficult day of work children are home for just a few short hours before they are to get up and begin the treacherous day ahead. Child labor has been an apparent issue throughout the world and still is today. Child labor is when young children under the age of 16 are working difficult jobs with hazardous equipment and low pay. Around 60 years ago child labor was banned and laws were enforced in the United States. Many people around the country realized the problem of child labor, and laws were enforced in America. But, when American companies realized that if they moved their production overseas to other countries the cost to make products was cheap and the sales' price could be lowered. These companies started hiring young children to make their products for low cost, which in turn enlarged the problem of child labor. Consumers should boycott buying products from all companies that use child labor in making their products because it is dangerous, kids deserve an education, and children deserve a childhood.
To begin, child labor is very dangerous and violates the health of children. The condition of workplace where child labor is practiced is very precarious and unsafe. The jobs that these children are doing are risky and should only be done by trained and mature adults. In the article, "Nike Pledges to End Child Labor And Apply U.S. Rules Abroad", author John Cushman states, "...heavier machinery and use more dangerous raw material, including solvents that cause toxic air pollution"(105). The Nike shoes factory is not a safe place for children to be working at because when working here kids are subject to bad air quality and machines that are not only dangerous, but cause a problem in the well being of children. Factories are not an environment that children should be working in. In Bangladesh there is a clothing factory that employs young girls who are required to do what they are told or they will be punished. The article, "Why Are Your Clothes So Cheap" states, "...one wrong move and the needle could slice through her finger"(Lewis 6). These girls wake up before dawn each day and go to work, not knowing what the day will bring. The task in which they are asked to do could potentially cause great harm and is not easy. These garment workers have to make as many clothing pieces as they can with speed and accuracy in order to ensure their employment. This is an example of just two of the factories who employ children, but all companies that employ kids are endangering them and risking their health.
Not only is child labor dangerous, but it does not supply the education that children deserve. Education is very important in successful careers, and with being able to go to school these children do not have a bright future. When working the very long days there is not time for children to go to school and get an education. Author Nadira Faulmuller, from Oxford University claims, "And we don't want them to be deprived of the opportunity to get a proper education"(112). Prior to this statement Nadria argues the many reasons as to why child labor is an unacceptable way to perform tasks. Education is very important to the livelihood of children, and everyone deserves one without the burden of work at such a young age. Another example from the article, "Why Are Your Clothes So Cheap", reads, "...had no choice but to quit school and get a job"(Lewis 7). The children that are working as an adolescent are working while their peers are at school. All children deserve to go to school and gain an education. Also, in order to perform well at a job later in life, children need to go to school in order to learn necessary skills. Child labor is restricting children from a world of success and opportunities that comes with a good education.
Additionally, children deserve the chance to experience a childhood while an adolescent. There are many perks to being young, such as not having many responsibilities and being able to learn through mistakes. As a child, it is important to be able to hang out with friends to develop social skills and physically grow while playing outside. When children are subject to working conditions they don't get to experience the growing experience of childhood. The article entitled "This Company Is Employing Children?", Faulmuller suggests, "Children should not work. This Indian girl is deprived of her childhood if she has to"(113). This example of an exquisite author that implies the many downfalls of child labor goes to show just how many ways it has damaged lives. Growing up is a mandatory part of life and without the experience of childhood, happiness is not as easy to achieve. When children work all day they can't be present in everyday life. Another example that Kirsten Lewis addresses is, "'...that's when it hit Kalpona:She would never go back to school. Her old life was gone"(8). This young girl missed her school and friends. When she was at work she was blocked off from the life her peers had. Child labor prevents children from experiencing the sole purpose of childhood.
It is often argued that buyers should support companies that use child labor. They may think this because it can help poor families. On the contrary, child labor is not a useful resource and is only destroying the lives of children. In the article by Nadira Faulmuller, she states, "...gross abuse like forced labour, carrying heavy weights or any other activity putting a child's physical or mental well being in danger"(112). This illustrates the many hazards and risks that young workers are experiencing. Many people are starting to boycott against companies enforcing child labor because it is an unacceptable way of manufacturing products. When children are working employers don't care about any of the damage that it does to the children. They are only worried about producing as much product as possible for as cheap as they can. Child labor is not benefitting the world in any way and is only causing more problems. Therefore, child labor is not something that should be lionized.
In conclusion, any companies that are using child labor in the production of items should be boycotted because they are putting children in danger, it is preventing children from an education, and children deserve a childhood. Consumers need to stop being lackadaisical and research companies that use child labor, if so they need to stop buying products from these antagonists. Children are risking their lives every day as they work tirelessly, this unacceptable way of producing items needs to be prohibited before it is too late. Hence, individuals everywhere need to acknowledge and fix the wrongdoings of business owners by boycotting any companies that operate through child labor.


The author's comments:

I want to help children across the globe grow up with a positive and memorable childhood without the burdens of child labor.