Suicide Prevention | Teen Ink

Suicide Prevention

By emma.kj BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
emma.kj BRONZE, Mukwonago, Wisconsin

While walking the halls of my school on September 11, 2017 this reporter had a realization. My school has invested in anti - bullying campaigns and clubs such as Students Against Violence Everywhere or S.A.V.E. However, suicide prevention has never been mentioned. 12 out of 100 teens have suicidal thoughts. With around 800 students, at least 90 of them have suicidal thoughts making suicide a high risk for all students. This reporter thinks some effective ways the school could help with suicide prevention is putting up posters giving students the idea suicide is not the answer. Also, spreading the word about the National Suicide Hotline which is open 7 days a week 24 hours a day could make a huge difference for students with suicidal ideations and actions. Although,the school's home education class mentions suicide it only lasts for a week making a small impact. In 8th grade it is discussed in PE however, not in seventh grade. It is a proven fact that suicide programs bring down the suicide rate giving the school another reason to support this life changing program. Also, a Wisconsin law requires schools to provide information on suicide prevention using a health curriculum. This law is followed in eighth grade, but not in seventh, sixth, a fifth. Hopefully, this paragraph persuaded you to want to have more information about suicide prevention. If this reporter did her job right, will make you more aware of students and people around you.