Helping Others

Society has proven their talented skill in wearing a mask in public that will save their reputation. People today are designed to create a reaction of being caring towards others in order for them to get the satisfaction of being a hero. Yet, they still decide to level up their decent lives with their money and donate a dollar or two in order to call it a day. It seems as if it is a lecture to be silent on controversial ideas. To just simply explore an organization for the homeless and then lie on how much you sacrificed to make someone feel better. Prioritizing the comfort and well-being of others is worth losing the time and money to gain a benefit towards something that doesn't involve their own needs and desires.

To begin with, there are ethical decisions created for the sake of money and upgrading their own lives. This means that there is a lack of guilt not forming when valuing the life of a child is less than having those fancy vacations. This can be thoroughly seen in Peter Singer’s essay, “The Singer Solution to World Poverty”, stating that, “If that makes living a morally decent life extremely arduous, well, then that is the way things are”(para. #). By analyzing human nature, there can be a sign seen that society is failing towards heading the right direction. Since instead, their words are swallowed knowing that they could have done something. It's not only that main point either, but the fact that the direct responsibility being held is adapted by a position of helping that has declined. The way humans have adopted this is by development. The essay, “Why Don’t We Complain”, it says, “For generations, Americans who were too hot, or too cold, got up and did something about it. Now we call the plumber, or electrician or the furnace man” (p. 80). Through expressing this idea, it has been characterized into the American family, giving that moral lesson that it takes an expert to fix the former and not the latter. This also shapes the way humans comfort others since they believe that someone else will do the job to donate or benefit something towards the world while they have the time of their lives with their money.

Not even that, but newspapers can also illustrate the selfishness people have toward helping each other. Although it's just some paper full of print, their goal is to make profit off of big headlines. Yet, headlines like poverty going on overseas and showing tragic deaths had been  censored for the sake of the public’s reaction. Nora Ephron’s essay, “The Boston Photographs” writes, “I’m not advocating that newspapers print these things in order to teach their readers a lesson” (p.158). So, if people find it too dramatic or sensitive to see one of life's main events, that makes them less educated on the issue itself and decreases the emotional impact that is supposed to happen. This contributes to people don’t have the time to care about real issues that go on when they are filled up with positivity and don’t waste their money as much when they don’t understand the issue.

On the other hand, there are experts that oppose on prioritizing others before yourself because it's more significant than assisting others to reach their type of living. According to the side, many people can’t afford helping others since they need to save that money for their bills and important shopping errands. The “Singer Solution to World Poverty” examines this by saying, “But consider for yourself the level of sacrifice that you would demand for Bob, and then think about how much money you would have to give away…” (p.382). Through using the example of Bob saving his bugatti rather than the child, it describes in their perspective that the benefits will not balance the sacrifice since issues like these may take more than thousands of dollars away from them. So, these experts want to inform on how all what these people get in return is a generous “thank you”, and nothing more which will only emotionally satisfy them for a few days of being a “hero”. Next, not everyone has the courage to speak about the wellbeing  of others, or at the most speak with a soft tone about helping others in their opinion since it can become demanding. In other words, it's not the humans fault for not taking a step towards poverty when they’re not adapted to that type of caring environment. They prove this through, “Why Don’t We Complain”, it says, “From this alienation of personal power comes the sense of resignation with which we accept the political dispensations of a powerful government…” (p.81). The side views this as the majority of Americans steadily losing power and choice so they are more involved in bringing social justice like racism rather than donating to a certain aid. Their ideas in a summarized way is that the media has been brainwashing Americans to give out more to others, leaving them with nothing.

Although these points seem valid, they are inaccurate in determining the reasons behind why putting others ahead of ourselves is negative. When their side states that Americans can’t “afford” to help others, it simply correlates to greed because if they can’t manage to donate a proportion of their salary, they can still volunteer which can also help towards a cause. This means that if a man who has a $40,000 salary manages to give away $1,000 to others and someone with an $80,000 salary donates $2,000, it’s equal. As determined in the essay, “The Singer Solution to World Poverty”, it says, “In the world as it is now, I can see no escape from the conclusion that each one of us with wealth surplus to his or her essential needs should be giving most of it to help people.” (p.384). This simply disproves that humans have never taken those luxuries in life and realized that they weren’t necessities in reality. It’s not even the idea of how many people will live but the chance to give to someone who wants to take that extra mile in life. Another way that their ideas are inaccurate is that claiming that society shaped the way they thrive since people don’t have to follow the guidelines of ignoring a homeless man who has a can of coins and is shaking it towards you. This can even relate to the way newspapers were structured to be in the essay, “The Boston Photographs”, by Nora Ephron. She states, “Have I become so preoccupied with manufacturing a product according to professional traditions and standards that I have forgotten about the consumer, the reader?” (p.156). By indicating this, it provides better reasoning as to why people want to care about themselves. They want to be successful rather than wise. Yet, for them money definitely buys happiness because they don’t care about what others think, they care about how they look to society. If all people did was pass down all the same traditions for centuries, there would be no change or development made in the way America runs. Through these objections made, it can be seen that they are more interested in the positive aspects of money and more time for yourself which does not outweigh that putting ourselves in front of others is negative due to the impact left on people less fortunate.

Not wanting to make others lives easier is a lie taught in society that if they are first and others are second, it makes you the one to take the throne and never let anyone sit in it. But, this greed doesn’t happen once in awhile. It ends up growing and spreading instead but it’s never seen since people find it as an illusion. People blame each other for not prioritizing others first when they still do the exact same thing in return, not knowing that the impact they have made has done nothing to improve the lives of people who suffer. If making others feel the same way you feel with the fortunate life given to you as a gift, it’s necessary to appreciate that gift and not take it for granted. Despite the amount of comfort people get for themselves, they still want more and more until they eventually don’t feel emotionally stable in life since they have gotten all the treasures they can hold while others only hold one gift, living. If people will continue to grow up in this manner, America will be lost because a democracy aims to help everyone get their own rights and live fairly through the support of others.