The Solution to Rising Obesity Through Fast Foods | Teen Ink

The Solution to Rising Obesity Through Fast Foods

April 27, 2017
By PeterCao BRONZE, Houston, Texas
PeterCao BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 14 comments

The United States sits on top of the ladder for the highest Gross Domestic Product, yet our country’s health continues to decline. This is due to the increase in the consumption of fast foods.  Fast foods are synonymous with junk foods and is a direct cause of rising obesity rates.  Fast foods are promoted by their low costs and result in rising obesity rates A higher tax on unhealthy consumables will incentivize cooking at home.
   

The public favors the convenience of fast foods over the health benefits of home cooking. “A contributing factor to this trend is the low costs of the ingredients used to produce these foods.”

Fast food companies use low priced ingredients to maximize profit and production .The availability of edibles attract the attention of lower and middle class citizens. These classes make up a majority of the obese population in the United States. The low priced products would only make up a small percentage of their income. This affordability is makes the constant consumption of fast foods beneficial for the lower and middle class citizens.
    

The rise of a quick and easy method in the lives of Americans has led to the consumption of fast foods. The overconsumption of fast foods are the results of low prices. “The average weight of a male in the 1960's was one hundred sixty eight pounds. This rise to one hundred eighty pounds today." The sale of fast foods became a cultural norm and food staple. The increase in the sale and consumption of calorie dense edibles lead to high obesity rates. Cooking today is an optional activity that is not necessary to the daily life of many Americans.
    

Home cooking is not as prominent in the current generation as the older generations.  There is little motivation for people to create their own food leading to the sale of more fast foods daily. “The rate of obesity now compared to the 1960's is twenty times higher.” The rise in the consumption of fast foods since the 1960's has led to the health conditions we see today. Obesity is preventable by simple measures, but a majority of people are not willing to give up their way of life. The way the citizens live their life is to enjoy themselves in the moment.
    

Americans have little incentive to create their own food. The affordability and location of the foods is a major part of why they consume fast foods. “The current tax on fast foods in a majority of states range from one to seven percent.” The current tax has no effect on the buy of these convenience foods. The consumption of fast foods has become far more than eating to survive. The tax should rise to twenty percent and affect all products that are high in sodium, sugar, and fatty foods. With this change in mind people will have a reason to invest time into making their own food. The rate of obesity will see a decline with a raise in the price of these foods.
    

A higher tax on the low cost of branded obesity products will create a reason for people to cook their own food. The constant consumption of fast foods has led to the rise in obesity rates.  Obesity is a simple problem with a simple solution. Obesity is a  treatable disease created by man;It is a disease that people have given themselves.