Modern and Abstract Art | Teen Ink

Modern and Abstract Art

By Nancy317 BRONZE, Houston , Texas
Nancy317 BRONZE, Houston , Texas

Dots, squares, and black paintings are in the world of abstract and modern art.  Most think this style of art is pointless but actually, it’s unique, has expression, and can have reason without showing one. People tend to judge abstract and modern art to be futile and meaningless, so to manifest the reason for these art pieces is to create a criteria explaining the worth and purpose of one's creation.      

In realistic and animated art, it’s all very similar in a way because people take ideas from each other and get inspired. In abstract art, every artist has their own unique and distinct craft. An example of that is Mark Rothko’s work. His pieces include limited amount of colors and rectangles that no one has done before. Each artist creates their own style and build around it. Their style doesn’t have a specific way that it’s suppose to look unlike most art. This is also stated by Rachel Barnes, “..artists tried to find a way of painting that did not have to follow any particular style or school of art.”

Expression is very important in abstract and modern art. Artist usually create what they feel, not what they see. You can create your own thoughts, rather than someone else's. When you draw something exactly how it looks, you can’t express any emotion. Most people see abstract art as pointless, but in reality, it has way more thought than realism. “ Just because something causes you to have a feeling of aesthetic beauty does not make it a work of art. “ (artrenewal), this is not true because there is no rule that states what is and is not art.    

Art can have a meaning without showing one. When you see art pieces, you usually think about what you see which can be comparable with others, but with abstract art, each audience can find their own theories about the work. When you’re not visually showing what you created, you make the audience question what it is about. Even a black canvas has a meaning, “...find something in nothing..” (tate).

A criteria for modern and abstract art has to have a rule that states that you have to have a reasoning for your art work. When you have no meaning or purpose, there is no point of making it in the first place and also proves the point of people who don’t enjoy modern art. In a survey, 30/67 people thought that abstract and modern art was questionable and useless, so to help them grasp abstract art, it is crucial to have a intent. Another important rule is that it has to be original. Modern art has been known for it’s unique look for each individual artist, so copying another artist’s work will make modern art look like any other art styles. Last rule is to have a shock value on your audience. “Abstract art was created to have a reaction and expression on people looking at it.” (catholiceducation). These rules will show that abstract and modern art isn’t what most media showcase it to be.

Even though abstract and modern art can look unpleasant and low-quality, it holds sentimental thought and feelings that most can’t visually see. Everyone has a different imagination and interprets abstract and modern art. Art can be in any form, even if it’s just dots, squares, and black paintings.

I was inspired to write about abstrat art because I love going to museums, so when I went to the Comtemporary Art Museum, I was fasinated about all the unqiue and unusual art.

LissaHarding BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"Don't you just hate it when your brownie posses you?" - My friend Ruby

sorry but in my opinion, abstract artists are just people that can't draw but insist on making a living off of it.

kailynn said...
kailynn,
I agree that people have to have an actual meaning behind their art because if someone just makes something a child can make without explanation then it's kind of weird.

YourClassmate,
I've never seen abstract art in real life so this article was really informative. I like to think abstract art as a way of painting emotions because emotions are abstract and sometimes can't be explained.

iamcool said...
iamcool, Houston, Texas
Anybody can scribble and call it art because anything is art if you explain it with some meaningful thoughts.

RaniaAitbouchireb BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I still cant get it in my head that anyone no matter what can scribble on a canvas and sell it for millions of dollars but i need to realize that its the meaning behind the painting which you did a very good job explaining it in your article!

Oswaldo_Ponce BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Abstract art seems to really take the emotions out people. They have a certain meaning and means more to the actual painter then the people that are viewing them since they know the deep meaning of it.

jxordan BRONZE said...
jxordan BRONZE, Houston, Texas
That's what I love about it. What gave the artist the inspiration to paint or create a certain thing is fascinating to learn.

1LonelyRose BRONZE, Houston, Texas
I never have and never will understand how somebody could pay millions of dollars on something a toddler could make. It probably took the artist a few minutes to make a simple piece and i know it doesnt cost that much.

PeterCao BRONZE, Houston, Texas
What really interests me about abstract art isn't the artwork itself, but the reason and meaning for creating the piece. Finding the reason and meaning for the creation of the work is really intriguing.

nango said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:55 am
nango, Houston, Texas
This article is interesting. I think both arts express a lot and are both cool hobby's.

LanTo BRONZE said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:41 am
LanTo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Abstract art definitely has a certain feel to it whenever you look at it. The audience may not understand the painting, because only the artist will only understand the emotions that are on the abstract art.

K.Dang said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:41 am
K.Dang, Houston, Texas
Whenever I look at modern and abstract art I always question the meaning behind the work, and I think it's becoming a popular trend because it promotes individualism and art with a deeper meaning, instead of painting a pretty picture !

Sugars said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:32 am
Sugars, Houston, Texas
Very interesting article! I have drawn before, but never really seem to notice about the different expressions until I look at it multiple times.

ASLanguage said...
on May. 17 2017 at 10:29 am
ASLanguage, Houston, Texas
This article is very interesting. Modern art is really a talented activity to do and paint.

on May. 17 2017 at 10:17 am
Carsafety BRONZE, Houston, Texas
This is a very interesting topic which i would want to do and i never knew the reason behind why they do it

on May. 17 2017 at 10:15 am
KimberlyNgo BRONZE, Houston, Texas
wow. I've never thought of modern art in that way and about the artist's reason behind his work. I always thought he just painted a couple of squares to sell for millions of dollars.