Gun Control Essay | Teen Ink

Gun Control Essay

By kmarchand BRONZE, Nespelem, Washington
kmarchand BRONZE, Nespelem, Washington

Gun control is a huge issue. Some people think gun control is a crime issue. Others think it’s a rights issue. Gun control is a safety issue and political issue to others. On both sides, opinions can vary, from simple to maximum. With all issues, people just want more gun legislation. It is our rights as citizens to own a gun, is my opinion. But some people like criminals or somebody with a bad back ground check shouldn’t be allowed to have guns.

Some people cannot handle firearms in a safe manner, and some use them inappropriately. Guns are certainly not for everyone. But we also have the second amendment which gives us a right to have firearms. Some legislation is reasonable but some are unnecessary and have gone too far. The rights of a person to posses a firearm usually comes to some degree.

The second amendment states: “A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a Free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” It pretty much gives us our right to posses a firearm. America will bring in new laws. And people for gun control will not be happy. Others will be extremely happy.

Some people don’t agree with gun rights. Some don’t think it’s safe for the environment. Others think it’s a crime issue. In 2015 there had been 12,942 people killed in the United States alone from shootings. And others may argue that keeping a firearm in their house can be dangerous due to accidents.

I, on the other hand, feel that if you’re going to keep a firearm in your household, it is your responsibility to keep it away from toddlers. And if there were shootings at a school for example, it should be the schools responsibility to make sure shootings don’t happen. The schools can provide metal detectors before you enter the school. It is our right to own a firearm. People die from many other things. But if you’re going to own a firearm it should be your responsibility to use it in appropriate manner.

I think that we should be able to have firearms. And some of the things people are saying have gotten way out of hand. I’ve grown up where you need guns. People go hunting which requires guns. In the long run, we need guns. Plus it is our right.