Winter | Teen Ink

Winter

By evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

December twenty first is the first official start of winter.  However, the effects of the weather start weeks before that date. The cold weather comes before winter, and sometimes even the occasional snowfall occurs before too. Winter is the season that people either love, or hate.  There is no in between. In my opinion, winter is one of the best seasons. Also, there are many holidays that occur during winter. During winter there are a lot of thrilling activities that you get to do, that are not able available during summer. 

One benefit of winter is all the amazing holidays; Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Years are the first that come to mind.  These holidays come with many benefits.  Families get to spend time with each other, and see some family members that they may not get to see much throughout the year.  Also, there are the gifts, that no one can deny loving. Another benefit during these holidays are the home cooked meals.  The meals that families prepare during the holidays are amazing, and delicious.  Lastly, a main benefit is the time that schools, and work get off during the holidays.  Work gets off a few days for the holidays, and some people take off more time, using their unused, and well deserved vacation days.  School gets off anywhere from about eight to eleven days, which are well deserved, and well needed at this time of the school year.  During these days off, people get to relax, and detox from all the stress and work that they have been doing.  Some families relax by staying home, watching tv, and sleeping.  While others go on vacation. Either to some place warm, to break away from the cold, or some place even colder, to enjoy the white powdery snow, where they participate in some of the many enjoyable winter activities.

As well as all the breaks, there is always the potential of a snow day.  The feeling of waking up in the morning, and seeing the bright white snow covering the ground, and then hearing the phone ring saying that there is either a snow day, a delayed opening, or having a half day is the best feeling.

As well as the time off in winter, there is also many activities to do during winter.  The first activity that comes to people's minds when they hear of winter is snowboarding, and skiing.  These two activities, are very popular in this area.  Skiing, and snowboarding are two wonderful activities, that one can only do during the winter when there is snow on the ground.  People get to enjoy the the smooth slope, full of bright white snow, and the views of the snow covered ground. Skiing, and snowboarding are thrilling activities, that one can always improve on, and never get boring.  People can try to go down the slopes as fast as they can, try to do some tricks in the terrain park, or work on their form, to improve their style, making these activities very fun and enjoyable. 
Finally, during the winter, kids can go outside, and play in the newly fallen snow.  They can go hangout with friends, and sled down a hill, have a snowball fight, build an igloo, or a snowman.  Participating in  these activities always puts a smile on kids faces, and allows them have a great time.  Winter is a time of family, fun and adventure which brings a smile to one’s face no matter what their age.