Short Term Mission Trips | Teen Ink

Short Term Mission Trips

January 18, 2017
By MFrom BRONZE, Downers Grove, Illinois
MFrom BRONZE, Downers Grove, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Some people go into the world feeling like a superhero- thinking they can save the world. The unfortunate truth is...they can't. So, instead of wasting time and money investing in an impossible feat, save the world for a few individuals, or even a whole community! Millions of people are victim to constant pain, hunger, and poverty. Doing wonders to aid these people, short term mission trips are in danger of becoming nonexistent, due to the fact that some people question if they “help or hinder” (Calvin). Short term mission trips, when executed with the appropriate mindset, will benefit hundreds of people.

    

A short term mission trip is a temporary and impermanent excursion, usually one to two weeks, to a poorer area that's purpose is to aid and encourage the full-time missionaries who live there, as well as assist in helping the community. Short term mission trips are most definitely worthwhile. Fast-acting and obvious, some of the strongest effects are on the volunteers. Venturing out into a land miraculously opposite of ours, it is guaranteed to be an eye-opening and humbling experience. Though money may seem like a vast obstacle, relatives and friends often aid the volunteers (Reddit). Jim Elliot says, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” The average American makes about $65,000 per year (mybudget360), whereas almost half of the world lives off less than $915 per year (globalissues.org). No one can keep their money forever, so why not use it to gain the everlasting satisfaction of helping those in need.
    

It being scary to journey out into the unfamiliar, one of the main setbacks for short term mission trips is the volunteers’ fear of the unknown. Undoubtedly, it can be frightening to step out of your comfort zone, but they naturally learn to adapt to the different setting, familiarizing themselves with the culture and basic differences. So, by the end of the trip, different is no longer compatible to frightening (internationaltravelers).
   

In addition, volunteers return home more grateful, fearless, and compassionate, as well as with a new appreciation of “little things”. “Sometimes you have to run to the front of the battle line to get new courage.” (J. Lee Grady, Charismamag).

    

Not only do mission trips benefit the volunteers, they also heavily improve the lives of the missionaries. A missionary, someone who stays in a poor area for either many years or permanently, making personal relationships with their community, helps many people and makes constant sacrifices. In some countries, the missionaries only speak in the native language, so it can be refreshing for them to get a glimpse of their home, and to speak in their first language.

    

Though hosting a short term mission trip increases stress for the missionary (Calvin), the group makes up for it by providing fresh enthusiasm. On many occasions, the volunteers treat the missionaries like royalty, hanging onto his or her “every word to learn about the people and the ministry” (David Peach).
    

Often, after the trip concludes, volunteers send money to the missionary monthly or yearly. These donations help to expand resources, purchase food, and provide a little more luxury for the missionaries and their families.

    

Lastly, short term mission trips considerably increase the wellbeing of the community. When my family and four others ventured to Costa Rica on a short term mission trip, one of the most heartbreaking and incomprehensible things that we saw were children who didn't get the chance to be children. Shuffling along the dirty streets, four-year-olds would be holding their baby brother or sister. While we invited kids to come play games with us, a three-year-old might stay on the front porch of a run-down house, caring for his or her siblings. Handing us their baby sibling, many children would run off to jump rope or get their face painted- letting a giggle escape from their usually frowning mouths. We were able to allow the kids a chance to have enjoy their life, let them experience a care-free afternoon!
    

Furthermore, on short term mission trips, projects are often completed.  Wells, shelters, gardens, or schools are usually constructed to profoundly enhance the circumstances in the community.
     

70 million children lack education, especially because of the expenses of building and maintaining a school. One reason short term mission trips are sometimes disapproved of is because occasionally volunteers’ help is viewed by the community as pity and unwanted “people coming to take care of them” (David Peach). However, nine out of ten times they're over-the-top grateful and excited to see the volunteers. As long as the volunteers don't simply ‘feel sorry’ for the residents, no tension occurs (“When Helping Hurts”, Brian Fikkert and Steve Corbett).

    

On our Earth, there are 91 developing countries. 795 million people lack enough food- or any at all. A common phrase used by Americans is, “I'm starving”, though almost always we have something to eat. 1 in 15 children die before their 5th birthday, mainly due to hunger and poverty. 2.7 million babies die in their first month of life each year in Africa alone (cia). If we have the time and money to help at least a few of these people who are dying or starving to death, and possibly change even just one of these statistics- we should try to! No matter what the concerns are, simply getting a chance at saving and at least improving the lives of those in need is a blessing. In conclusion, short term mission trips help so many people in the end, and need to be continued.


The author's comments:

Last summer, my family and I went on a short term mission trip to Costa Rica. I loved it so much that I wanted to learn more about other short term mission trips, which is when I found out that many people were against them. I knew right away that I wanted to argue against all of those wanting to end mission trips. I hope I can persuade readers to support short term mission trips, and have a credible reason to, as well.