Should Workers Get a Raise? | Teen Ink

Should Workers Get a Raise?

By kaj22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
kaj22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

People have many different opinions on money.  Some might think the raise will hurt businesses.  Some think the raise would help workers.  Getting a raise will help families afford family needs.  Workers need the raise to help pay for bills, pay for gas, and most importantly, pay for food.  These are things every adult or workers need.  A raise will help people in everyday life.

First, workers should get a raise for family needs because, families need to pay for bills.  With the raise, workers would have an easier time to pay bills and not have to work extra hours. This might help workers but not business owners. This is important to all families so they do not lose their house or anything that they care about.  Family needs about insurance and a roof all rely on bills.   The raise would help everyone pay for bills.  “A raise from $10 to $15 would affect millions.” (Minimum Wage Is Likely Going Up In California, Don Thompson) It would affect millions. Millions could be able to pay for bills, write checks and not have to take interest for their bank account for a simple task of getting groceries.

Also, workers should get a raise for family needs because, parents, teens, and workers all need to get to work.  Modern days, people use vehicles as everyday transportation.  Vehicles and people are alike.  They both need food for energy to go.  Without any energy, the car stops and can no longer run.  This is important for workers to get to work on time ready to go.  This might help workers but business owners need to get to their businesses to and  have no problem paying for gas. Everyone 16 or over needs to pay for gas on their vehicle.  If you are a parent it is especially important to drive your offspring places like school.  The raise would help because, “Gas and housing is expensive.” (Minimum Wage Is Likely Going Up In California, Don Thompson)  Parents need cars, especially when they have to drive their offspring to school.

Additionally, workers should get a raise for family needs because, starving is not an option.  Everyone needs food.  “Yasmin Fernandez takes home about 2,400 per month after taxes. She pays for food and housing and helps her mother, brother, and four nephews in Mexico. She has $150 left for herself. A higher minimum wage will be wonderful. A little more money for me to go to a concert or something fun. I could help my family even more.” (Minimum Wage Is Likely Going Up In California, Don Thompson)  Fernandez used money for her family to pay for food.  As she stated, “A higher minimum wage would be wonderful. A little more money for me to go to a concert or something fun. I could help my family even more.” (Minimum Wage Is Likely Going Up In California, Don Thompson)  Fernandez uses the money for food and family and not herself.  A little raise could make her life happier by doing something fun.  The raise would help her to help her family even more. Fernandez is happy about a raise while others, not so much. Some food in stores is fairly cheap so there is no reason for a raise.
Although, the raise might help some, but not all. Workers don’t need the raise immediately. It could be dangerous. Businesses could go out of business from workers asking for a high demand of money. “However, many business owners are against raising wages. They warn that higher wages will hurt businesses.  The raise could force bosses to let go of some workers.” (Minimum Wage Is Likely Going Up In California, Don Thompson)  Business owners don’t want to lose workers unless they have to.  They need the workers to make money for them to pay the workers.  Since there are too many workers hired in businesses, owners may have to fire a couple workers to be able to keep workers happy with the amount of money paid to workers for working.  Having workers demand for the raise, doesn’t make it any better, only worse.

Therefore, the issue of workers getting a raise is not easy to chose a side.   Both sides need the money for the same thing.  They need it for family.  It’s safe to say that everyone cares and loves their family.  While workers want a raise, businesses disagree.  Workers want a raise to help them pay for family needs. The raise would hurt businesses by having owners losing money by having to pay their workers such a high amount.  What does money mean to an adult or teen?   How does it affect everyday life?