Christopher Columbus | Teen Ink

Christopher Columbus

January 16, 2017
By lah222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lah222 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many people think that Christopher Columbus was the man who came upon America, but we don’t really know we have no proof of what actually occurred. Some people may think that Christopher Columbus just wanted to be famous and he just wanted wealth. Others might say that Christopher Columbus was just someone that wanted to bring that wealth home for Spain he did not want to keep the money all for himself. Or he just wanted to leave a legacy. Christopher Columbus is a great well known man he has accomplished many things and we dedicated a day to him for a reason.


Firstly, Christopher Columbus was a great man and he wanted his name to be known but, some people can choose to think of him as a bad person and maybe only focus on the bad things about him.  But people should think of Columbus and say that he was the man who discovered America, and that he was the one who helped Spain. He did not just find land he found much more, “He found gold and pearls” from the “Christopher Columbus Timeline”.   Even since he was a little kid all he wanted to do is sail the seas and so he did.  He wanted to be different from his father and mother he wanted to do something remarkable and he wanted to help his country most of all.  He grew up to be a great man and he found many things, new things and shared them with different people and those new things only helped with the way things worked and happened.


Next, Christopher Columbus was an important man because he was smart enough to actually know what he was doing.  Since he wanted to sail the seas and nobody really knows the whole world and all the different places, Columbus had to use geography books. “Columbus taught himself Latin because all the geography books were in Latin” from the Christopher Columbus article.  Once he got the three ships, “ Santa Maria, Pinta and the Nina.”  He was sailing across the seas and he wanted people to be safe he did not want anybody to die therefore, he was concerned with his crew's safety.  He thought that if they all were to make it to China and the crew had to help get there, then a crew member dies on land, then that crew member   would be down someone to help on the ship. 


Finally, Columbus was a determined man he wanted to stay alive and he wanted to accomplish many things.  So when his ship sunk in a battle off of Portugal, Columbus swam ashore.  But for Columbus things did not get a whole lot better but he still kept on moving forward.  “Columbus's wife Felipa dies, but Columbus moves to Cadiz, Spain” from the article Christopher Columbus Timeline.  Columbus opens up a shop that supplies maps and charts.  So Columbus did not just give up on sailing and relation to the seas entirely.  He still was in touch with what he loved.  With opening up that shop he could of helped someone else with sailing.  Supplying maps was something different that most people did not do because no one really thought about sailing , especially around to different places.  So when Columbus did that he still had to know how to read and write in latin because that is the language that back then was most common.  Since his father was a wool weaver and Columbus wanted to sail, he did not know how to sail he had teach himself and because of that.  Many kids grow up knowing what Columbus did and even though not many people remember celebrating Columbus day, still it’s a day dedicated to him because of his life’s work.  He had a passion for sailing he was smart and he was determined. 


Nevertheless, some people may say that Columbus was a man that sailed but he did not find America.  Also people can say that Columbus was a murderer. Other people still might say that Columbus was in it for the money and that he kept the money all to himself. Columbus wanted to return to Spain with something. “ Columbus built  a fort on land and left 40 men to hunt for gold” from the “ Christopher Columbus article.”  Over all Columbus was not a nice man On board his slave ship, Columbus had hundreds of slaves die and he did not care. Columbus had crew men take the bodies and put them into the Atlantic Ocean. Columbus was also known as greedy, he always tried to get more than what he really needed. Once he tried for eight years to get King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella to supply him with ships and money. Finally they agreed, but he made more demands.


Christopher Columbus was a man who accomplished a lot and he is known for being the man that discovered America.


Columbus grew up being the man that he thought he was going to be, only when he was a kid. Columbus lived his life doing and staying in touch with the thing he loved, sailing. So when sailing ended he still was able to have some connection with that.