Puppy Mills: The Disturbing Truth | Teen Ink

Puppy Mills: The Disturbing Truth

January 11, 2017
By MayaElise142 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
MayaElise142 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The history of dogs is as old as our own. Man’s best friend has been with us through it all. You would think such a loyal creature would be treated like family or even a friend. However in our society today, animal mistreatment is an ever pressing issue that needs to be discussed.


Presently, one major problem deserving of our attention would be the infamous puppy mill. Let me set the scene. You walk into the yard behind a building, first you hear them. Yips and barks pleading for attention, for someone to recognize them. Then you notice the smell, urine and feces defecate the area, filling your senses. Next you see them. Hundreds of rusting metal cages in rows stacked up to five cages high, each with multiple dogs packed together. With no protection from the elements. Some can’t see, others can’t stand up, some carry diseases, and others, if not most, have never been inside. Mother dogs are bred nearly every heat cycle and, when they stop producing puppies, are usually killed. Disgusted yet? I would hope so. Unfortunately, this scene is a common occurrence across the country with as many as 10,000 puppy mills existing in the U.S. today. Even worse, however, there is little to no legal protection against this.


It isn't fair for me to say that puppy mills are always ignored. The ASPCA and Humane Society, as well as other organizations, are doing the best they can to take a stand against them. However, due to a lack of public awareness, not much is being done to completely take down puppy mills. According to the Humane Society, “Almost all pet store puppies come from puppy mills.” So while organizations are fighting for animal rights, every day when pets are being purchased, it only strengthens the puppy mill business. There are some regulations against puppy mills, such as the Animal Welfare Act which controls animal treatment and is enforced by the United States Department of Agriculture. Even so, there are loopholes and inefficiencies in the system that allow for the mistreatment of these poor animals to continue. When a USDA licensed breeder is found to have violated the AWA, usually the worst they get is a fine or a temporary suspension of their licence. You should think this is unacceptable because quite frankly it is. A harsher punishment seems necessary, dogs feel pain too and generally don’t have a voice to take a stand for themselves. It is our responsibility to help the defenseless.


Along with the unfair treatment of the puppies, there also is much suffering for the consumer. Because of the harsh treatment towards these animals they are more prone to health problems later in life, both physical and mental. Referenced from the ASPCA, “Because puppies are removed from their littermates and mothers at a young age, they also often suffer from fear, anxiety and other behavioral problems.” Which creates a bad starting dynamic between dog and owner. Also after going through the purchase of a dog, soon the consumer will be faced with more veterinary bills than they can usually handle. The Humane Society states, “Because puppies from puppy mills are more likely to have health problems due to poor care, many consumers are faced with significant veterinary bills or even the death of their puppy soon after purchase.” This outcome is fair to neither the puppy nor the owner. Puppy mills have been getting away with this for far too long, it's time we took a stand to fight for what's right.


I hope I have encouraged you to think more about this issue and to spread the word to others. The only way we can fight this is to recognize the problem. One way you can help is if you are interested in getting a puppy adopt from a shelter or make sure you do your research about a breeder. If you would like to learn more about puppy mills, or what you can do to help, please visit the Humane Society, ASPCA, or a local shelters website.


The author's comments:

I was faced with a project that wanted me to discover a social issue I'm passionate about and take a stance against it. I was struggling to find something I'm passionate about, but then I stummbled across puppy mills. As soon as I discoverd more I knew this was the injustice I could really get behind. So I wrote this article in hopes to raise awareness of this issue that may eventually lead to a greater outcome.