What Is the Confederate Flag? | Teen Ink

What Is the Confederate Flag?

By photomaniac48 BRONZE, Loganville , Georgia
photomaniac48 BRONZE, Loganville , Georgia

"Freedom isn't free" "Choosing faith over fear" "Never apologize for being right" "American by birth ,Southern by the Grace of God" "olly-olly-oxen-free"

“The red represents the blood of Christ. The white border represents the protection of God. The blue “X” represented the Christian cross of Saint Andrew, the first disciple of Christ Jesus and patron Saint of Scotland. The 13 stars represent the 13 Southern states of secession. Thus, the message of the Confederate battle flag is ‘Through the blood of Christ, with protection of God, We, the 13 states, are united in our Christian fight for liberty’ “

The confederate flag was first designed for the civil war for the southern states. So to the south it is a representation of hard work, freedom, and heritage. The south worked and fought hard for rights and freedom. But now it is a symbol of racism, hatred, and division. It’s sad though because so many people fought under and for that flag but now all people want to do is get rid of it. The thing is that people’s priorities have changed, and the world is telling people that they can feel and act however they want.

But if people would put all the hate and their feelings aside they would relies that the flag is something to be proud of if you’re a southerner. See the flag isn’t about race at all because the people who fought for that flag were different skin tones. The flag hasn’t changed, and the history is the same no matter how many times the world tries to change that. We can’t undo the civil war but we can help the attitude towards the flag. So how about we put what the world says aside and think for ourselves on what the flag stands for. Because to me its apart of my heritage, and I’m proud to be called a southerner because that’s what I am and no one can change that. So I think the Confederate Flag should still be flown, hung, or folded proudly.