Signed, Anonymous | Teen Ink

Signed, Anonymous

By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Hello there,

Can’t you see just how much my past is haunting me? This pen seems to be my only escape even though I can’t re-write my past I hope the ink lasts to get me though the day and chase all the demons far away. I don’t care if it’s only for a short while; I know fear lasts forever but with those who face those fears alone I just know we’ll make it past then. This day lasts a long time but I won’t complain because after all these years of being stuck up in these classrooms with all these expectations what is there left to say? It’s not like any of the teachers listen anyway. People say no one cares about the past but open your eyes and see how long it lasts for all the broken hearted. For all the lost and abused. We we’re all dreamers playing on the playground with hopeful hearts but what has happened now? All the dreams were shattered with the weight of the world and no one’s laughing now! This new generation is so full of life when they start out but wait till they see who society wants them to be: girls with make-up by age 3 and guys who play into the “American Dream”. Who are we all really meant to be? In the end, all we want to be is some place called home that we gave up just to run away from and maybe just to be free! Society has no right to tell me who to be! They don’t know the past of the dreamers who beg to fly. They don’t know of the broken hearted who gave everything to one guy. They ignored the girl crying in her bathroom and kissing razors because they thought all that had to be said was, “stop crying it will all get better”. What of the girl who lost 100 pounds to prove her beauty but instead of pretty she’s six feet under? They say the boy who loves his own gender is wrong and unloved but they don’t know about how the one he loves holds him close at night. According to them rape occurs only to women but they don’t acknowledge the man who’s going to therapy and may not trust so easily again. Wake up and face this cruel reality of people living on a minimum wage salary and the kids stuck in their rooms with parents screaming. Look and see what stress does to them. So, tell me again that no one cares about the past and I’ll paint you a picture of the dreamers who sit in their rooms to cry and hope for their futures. The ones who scream, “society doesn’t define me!” Tell me, who do you want to be in this world of make believe and society?

Signed,
Anonymous.