Techno Path | Teen Ink

Techno Path

As a freshman at Arizona State University, I am overwhelmed with my classes, work, and personal life. If this was not enough, I am constantly being consumed by an infectious addiction that distracts me from what I am supposed to do: technology. I am constantly being consumed by these devices and rely on them like they are my own personal life support.

The first computer was created in 1946. We did not know it yet, but this technology would soon take over our world. We need it for everyday life, and cannot seem to stop using it for five minutes.  The Internet growth in the 1990s is the major cause for the addiction.  It has given us access to new worlds, cultures, and virtual reality.  We can almost create another life for ourselves on-line. 

With software advances, the devices became smaller, faster, and smarter. I was excited to receive my first technological device in sixth grade; it was a flip phone. Now I know it is no iPhone, but it opened up a whole new world for me. I could take pictures, text, and call people; I was connected!  This was just the start of my addiction. Once the tech gurus introduced smartphones, people became attached to these devices. The development of social media, such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter made it even easier to have my face stuffed in electronics. I am not alone, however.  In fact, it is quite rare to see a youth without a smartphone in 2016. Even my eight-year old niece has an iPhone. Kids are wasting their time indoors with video games, which will lead to unhealthy habits. I believe that people were more active, both physically and mentally, prior to the Internet. They had to be social. However, with the rise in technology people do not talk in person anymore; they are opting to simply send a text or Snapchat. People even breakup over social media. Our social skills are changing, and some would say they are waning.  Speaking over social media can create isolation. It is not an authentic reality. For some, technology has created depression, violence, lack of sleep, and lack of privacy. This is why it is necessary for people to unplug every now and then.

While technology is a helpful tool, it can be distracting and now we are too reliant on it to do simple tasks. For instance, you cannot enjoy the outdoors or go to a place without constantly updating your social media. You do not always have to take a picture of your food or announce your 20-word Starbucks order (I’ll take a pumpkin spice latte with 3 shots of…) before you eat or drink it. Companies are even developing products based around technology. The selfie stick and other items like emoji plush pillows from the iPhone. These emoji are now Halloween costumes. So technology is a costume idea now? What happened to classic costumes like superheroes or monsters? I have been Dracula for Halloween, but now I guess the new hip costumes are the Instagram or even the Snapchat logo. Technology is changing our culture and traditions.

The point of this paper is not to critique technology. In fact, I find it to be very helpful, but do not let it take over your life. This will sound cliché, but close your screen and enjoy socializing with friends and family face to face. Maybe go out and enjoy nature or go on a road trip. Technology is a good tool to use; it makes our life easier. I am trying to keep it in perspective and control the urge to use it 24/7.

I do not know why I am even bothering writing this paper, because you are probably buried deep in the catacombs of your latest iPhone 7 updating your Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter with pictures of food, animals, or nature. On the off chance you are reading this essay, please learn from it. Put your phone down, close your laptop, and go outside. Do not get controlled by technology.

I hope people will understand that technology is not a life support. You can disconnect from it and live a little more socially