Is Interracial Dating Okay? | Teen Ink

Is Interracial Dating Okay?

October 5, 2016
By AlyssaNicole15 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
AlyssaNicole15 BRONZE, Independence, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever wanted to date outside your race but wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea or if your parents would agree with it? Well most parents may think it’s okay while others think it’s wrong. Studies have shown that in 1959 the amount of interracial marriages was only a percentile of 4. By 2013 the interracial marriages was a percentile of 87. While among all interracial relationships the most common is white and hispanic at 37%, White and Asian at 13.7%, and lastly White and Black at 7.9%. These are really important because it shows that there are multiple types of  interracial relationships.

These studies have come to help show that dating outside your race is ok, Yes, some people are against it while others may say that it is perfectly fine. While most people are judged for it others are their to help you along the way and to make sure that you guys are happy. Yes, some churches are against interracial dating such as the mormon church. My uncle is mormon and does not like the fact that some of us like other races besides white. One biblical reason that the mormon church is against interracial dating is that it is against jesus and the bible. But at the same time why is it against the bible because there is no point for it.

If someone truly loves another person why not let them be happy? Okay so yes it may be “against the bible” but the bible also wants everyone to be happy correct? So what’s the point in not letting someone be happy even if it is with a person outside their race or culture. Most people would probably disagree with this statement, while others would totally agree. Studies show that "Seventy-two percent of endogamous Latino marriages remain intact at 15 years, but only 58 percent of Latino husband/white wife and 64 percent of white husband/ Latina wife marriages are still intact.” 

So if these people are to be happy and are building a family and a relationship that can’t be broken, why don’t we leave them alone and let the inter-racial marriages continue?  Why not let them be happy? From personal experience, we know that some parents aren’t found at the idea of their daughters dating a “black” guy because we are raised differently, but how would they know if we were to be raised differently if they have never met him? Why don’t our parents explain that?


In conclusion honestly, if you’d like to be with someone but you don’t know how your parents would feel, just sit down and talk to them. Make sure they meet the guy because you never know, maybe they will love him like they love you. Wouldn’t your parents want you to be happy? Most would say yes, so go and explain to them that you are attracted to a guy who isn’t the same race or color as you. Maybe you can be one of the lucky few who’s parents understand and will give you and him a chance. 


Sources< Fu, Vincent Kang, and Nicholas H. Wolfinger. "Broken Boundaries Or Broken Marriages? Racial Intermarriage And Divorce In The United States." Social Science Quarterly (Wiley-Blackwell) 92.4 (2011): 1096-1117. Academic Search Elite. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.

Perry, Samuel L. "Religion And Whites' Attitudes Toward Interracial Marriage With African Americans, Asians, And Latinos." Journal For The Scientific Study Of Religion 52.2 (2013): 425-442. Academic Search Elite. Web. 4 Oct. 2016.   >