The Golden Rule

I remember sitting in class at the beginning of each year in high school. The first day walking into the classroom I always saw something different waiting for me. Sometimes it was a teacher, a big old smile on their face with a classroom loud with talk about the summer. Or sometimes a teacher would be completely emotionless, students only loud enough so their friends can hear. Other times the teacher seemed completely detached from the rest of the world, as if we weren’t really there but no matter what was waiting for me and who they were, without fail they’d always begin the first day of class with a set of class rules. I don’t know if anyone else can relate to this but almost every class I’ve ever gone to (schools, camps, extra classes) have always set “class rules/norms” and every year they’re the same: be friendly, respect each other, be patient, be kind and follow the Golden Rule. The ‘Golden Rule’ in particular always bugged me. What made it so special that it deserved the title as the ‘Golden Rule’? Now for those that don’t know what the golden rule means or are completely confused about what I’m talking about. The Golden Rule means, “treat others like how you want to be treated.” And just about every place I’ve gone it’s always been a leading rule for getting along. Now please let me explain my indifference to the topic, I understand how “treat others like how you want to be treated” is a somewhat good idea. Don’t treat someone like utter crap because obviously you wouldn’t want to be treated that way. The problem is, everyone is different. Everyone likes to be treated a certain way, so how do you know that treating someone else the way you’d like to be treated is the right way to treat someone? It’s actually a very self centered way of looking at things. It’s all about you, you! YOU! and It’s all about me, me! ME! This rule is written in a way that makes it as if the person (you) just knows everything about how another person wants to be treated. Which is completely unfair to these other people (your peers, your friends, your teachers). It’s these little things like the ‘golden rule,’ that only support self centered thoughts and actions. When really, we need to reach out of our own little bubbles to help take care of others and give back to our communities. How about instead of ‘treat others like how you want to be treated” we turn it into “ Treat Others Like How They Want To Be Treated.”