Bee Stings

By Emily_Newman GOLD, Parma, Ohio
Emily_Newman GOLD, Parma, Ohio

"Pain demands to be felt." -John Green

Bee stings.  Skunk spray.  Even roses have thorns.  We must defend ourselves from these things. Simple, the are, yet so complex.  We all have our own system of defense some being more effective than others of course.  Some choose not to defend at all, whereas some could never lie defenseless. 

How do we defend?  We wear a smile on our faces, of course.  For all that is needed, is a smile, right?  As long as to the eye we look secure, all is well?  All we need is the shear look of happiness to function.  We do not need true happiness, oh no.  True happiness of others means nothing in the eyes of many.

We walk around with a smile on our faces, not letting others know that your love has been determined unrequited, after many 'misleading' romantic encounters.  We walk around with a smile on our faces, not letting others know that you have been betrayed by your closest friend, once again, and that you have been labeled the bad guy for feeling.  We walk around with a smile on our faces, not letting other know that you are struggling with money and are far behind on bills. 

Why do we do this?  We do this because we do not want people to know of our pain, our struggles.  We do not want people to know that we are weak.  We do not want people to know that we are scared.  And once again, why?  What is it worth?  Wealth and riches?  No.  Popularity and social status?  No not really.  We all just seem to feel the need to build up a false image to mask our true realities.

Perhaps we are trying to tell ourselves that our realities are not reality.  Who are we kidding?  Truthfully, we are not kidding anyone but ourselves.  We can always lead ourselves to believe that we have lead others on, though we have not.  All we are really doing is lying to ourselves. 

We must defend ourselves.  We all have our own system of defense.  Some are more effective than others.  None, however, are real systems of defense.  No they are only faulty storm shelters in the midst of a hurricane.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!