I Do Not Need to Pitch. Bernie’s History Speaks for Itself. | Teen Ink

I Do Not Need to Pitch. Bernie’s History Speaks for Itself.

June 6, 2016
By elizabethlulanova SILVER, Somerville, Massachusetts
elizabethlulanova SILVER, Somerville, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I cannot change the world, but I can change myself. I cannot change the people, but I can inspire the people. I cannot change mankind, but I can make a difference."


We live in a world where it is often heard “politicians lie a lot”, or perhaps more satirically, “if you are a good liar, you might as well be a politician!”. Yet, when such persons shape-shift in front of us with their endless promises and ever-changing platforms, we allow ourselves to be inveigled. We forget - for a moment - that our most precious intellectual properties are our beliefs, passions, and ideals. If one were to change their stance, time and time again - do they truly advocate for anything?

Evolution is a powerful mechanism, and humans do indeed evolve over time. But it can also be used as a cleverly disguised excuse. In other words, such excuses are unceasingly curated to appeal to what is popular, attracts attention and most importantly, garner votes. But as fellow citizens in a fractured country, we do not simply vote due to our constitutional rights. More specifically, we vote in the interest of supporting those that share our principles and in return, may achieve what we ourselves cannot.

Thus in that respect, I do not beg of anyone or even try to marginally convince my peers of why I support Bernie Sanders.

Yes, his values align with mine, and yes, I agree with him on a draconian number of issues. But, the key here is not that I “like” what I hear. More particularly, it is not because I “like” hearing his words in 2016. But that his history and track record speaks for themselves. Yes, Bernie has been fighting for my values since 1985 (and even earlier in non-digital formats).

Moreover, let's hypothetically state that I conservatively swing to the other end of the political spectrum - I will nonetheless continue to grant Sanders my enduring respect. This is a man that has long upheld his principles and has persevered in the unwavering faith that the American people would one day share his vision.

 

Therefore, if you are to take advantage of being able to nominally affect our country's infrastructure, I seek to remind you of one last statement. This country was not founded upon the principles of the power hungry. On the contrary, this country was born when men and women alike rallied against the establishment and not because it was simply popular to do so.


The author's comments:

Bracing for Tuesday, I went back to the writing safe spot from my own high school years in a last ditch effort to speak to this year's newest, and youngest voters. ‪#‎ThankYouBernie‬ for leading a true political revolution, affecting the next generation of decision makers and beginning important conversations that will continue on.