Evil Goths or Misunderstood People?

What do you think of when you hear the word Gothic? Do you think of evil, black clothes, or Satan? The Gothic subculture is one of the most misunderstood subcultures in the world today. "So what is Gothic then?"-you would ask.

Many people are led to believe that Goths are witches and worshippers of Satan. This is hardly true at all. I've also seen people reject Goths in a way that is so absurd. They accuse Goths of being murdurers, rapists, abusers, druggies, alcoholics, homosexuals, and mentally retarded people. First of all, 98% of Goths do not fit under any of these accusations and second of all, Goths are just NORMAL people. Because a person dresses in black, wears black eyeliner, and has black hair, people choose to accuse them unjustly.

Goths dress and act different because they want to be different or because they might have been rejected by "normal" society. Goths tend to be very open-minded and do not always agree with everything someone has to say. They have to check things out for themselves. Now as for black clothing; so what if someone likes a certain color more than others? Some wear black because it is slimming and some wear it just because. Black is a color; not a symbol of Satan worshipping.

Goths, in fact, have many different tastes, music, religions, and even fashions. Like I said before- they are normal people, just like you. So why then, are they so obssesed with darkness and death? Haven't you ever looked at the stars or the moon and thought "Wow! This is so beautiful!?" The darkness of night is so exciting and breath-taking. So there's nothing wrong with enjoying the dark of night! As for death; it is a part of life in this mortal world, yet there are few willing to face this. No wonder someone freaks out when they meet a person who finds beauty in the midst of this dark and dying world! Let me tell you that suicide is not something anyone should dwell on, but some people (including Goths) like to think about the afterworld. Thinking about this is not wrong or weird at all.

Because of the media portrayal and misconceptions, there are many stereotypes about the Gothic subculture. One, is that Goth is a fashion. This is false. Putting on black and wearing black eyeliner does not make you a Goth. Goth is a state of mind that developes over time. They are just people with a different style and personality that is both unique and quite beautiful. You probably think that they have a rebellious state of mind. Though there are some rebellious Goths, not all of them are this way.

Many people think that Gothic is a type of music. There are some bands and artists who are like this, but even some Goths don't like "Gothic" music. Yes, it is very true!

So, in conclusion to all of this, please accept Goths as normal, loving, and fun people, because I can guarantee that there are really fun and cool Goths! You don't have to like them, but don't make fun of them or judge unjustly. Besides, everyone is different in their own way!

"Gothic:" What does this word mean to you now?

samboy123 said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 10:05 am:
There seems to be a common mis-understanding about Goths. You are not a Goth, and cannot qualify as being one because of a choice of lifestyle, or choice of clothes. Goths are Germanic tribes who originated from southern Scandanavia, primarily the Ostrogoths and the Visigoths, the Ostrogoths ended up with an empire in Spain. Nearly all the Gothic tribes fought the Romans. Be advised, you are not a Goth simply because you wear black gear and try to look weird with make-up. To be a Goth, you requi... (more »)

RVlad replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm :
Well she can be goth if she wants to as in today because the goth term has changed throughout the years and youre just defining it too hard, i feel that anyone can call or consider themselves whatever they feel like and you cant just tell people what they arent, i mean i consider myself a goth just because im unique wear black clothing, pale make up, and rad hair styles with silver spiked jewelry so that wouldnt consider me a goth, so basically who am i????

letsmakeapizzaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:39 pm :
samboy123: Interesting response. Did you copy-paste and summarize from Wikipedia? /LOL

samboy replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:01 am :
No, I just have a low tolerance for seemingly intelligent people who do illogical things, like the 6 million people or so in the UK who currently wear a shirt with a polo player stuck on it, and they have never been on a horse in their life, or those blokes about five years ago who used to walk around with their bums hanging out of their jeans, at half mast, and their girlfriends thinking they are cool, rather than thinking, what a prat! If I decided to wear wear a T shirt with a pictu... (more »)

SecretNonConformist said...
May 31, 2010 at 8:35 pm:
i have a friend who's goth and she's one of the happiest people i know. this is so true!