Why the Death Penalty Should be Considered Inhuman | Teen Ink

Why the Death Penalty Should be Considered Inhuman

By FrootLoops BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
FrootLoops BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

The death penalty has been dying around the United States recently and there is debate whether this is a good thing. The question, “Should the United States stop using the death penalty?” has risen to the forefront of the issue. Eighteen states have already stopped using the death penalty and the governors of three other states have halted all scheduled executions. Also, the frequency of use of the death penalty in states that allow it has been  decreasing. Therefore, the next time that the Supreme Court reviews the death penalty, they may ban it if it is ruled as a cruel and unusual punishment because only a small number of states use it.

Although many disagree with the use of the death penalty, there are those who support the death penalty and believe that it should stay around and be used more commonly. Supporters of the death penalty believe it is proper punishment for the worst of the worst, such as serial killers and mass murderers. They believe it is unfair for taxpayers, like themselves, to fund a serious criminal’s relaxed lifestyle in prison. Also, Hammurabi’s Code, “Eye for an eye,” is commonly cited over this controversy because supporters of the death penalty believe it is a fair punishment for murderers.

Along with many others, I believe that the death penalty should be banned across the entire country for several reasons. One of the most important reasons that the death penalty should be banned in the US is that taking someone’s life makes us just as bad as the person we are punishing. This reflects badly on the US government for allowing someone to be put to death as a punishment for the same crime. This also shows that the government and society are giving up on a person which is against all that America stands for. Giving up on a person goes against all American beliefs and what this country is built on. Also, innocent people have been killed because of the death penalty. When someone executed by the death penalty is found innocent, it is too late to do anything and the criminal is still out there. When this happens, it reflects badly on the government and the banning on the death penalty is brought up again. The death penalty kills, even though that’s what it was made to punish.

I hope that the death penelty will be banned in the United States before anyone else is killed because of this cruel punishment