The Causes of Food Wasting | Teen Ink

The Causes of Food Wasting

March 23, 2016
By RubyChang BRONZE, Vietnam, Other
RubyChang BRONZE, Vietnam, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Food waste has become an issue of growing interest among activists, scientists, and consumers. Every year, around four billion tonnes of food are produced, and around two billion are wasted and more terribly it is even an ever-growing threat. I want retailers, shopkeeper, transporters, consumers and everyone on this planet Earth to save food for those poor souls, who get nothing more than a few pieces of bread and half a cup of water per day. Although a strong case could be made that food can be organic fertilizers and grow trees and plants, this reasoning is unconvincing because there are around two billion people are on the verge of starvation while others are wasting food. Therefore, food are not meant to be wasted.
                

First and foremost, food should not be wasted. More importantly, while we are full with food in our stomach; children in Africa have to fight for survival every day with barely any food to keep them from the brink of starvation, or even nothing at all!  For example, nearly 50,000 people; including 30,000 children, die each day due to poverty related problems and disease in underdeveloped countries. That doesn’t include the other millions of people who are infected with AIDS and other incurable diseases. This example illustrate that some families on this world are penniless, they have no money for food or even for their health care.  On the other hand,  I usually see that some of the SSIS students bought a lot of food at lunch but in the end they don’t finish it, so they decided to throw the meal away. It hurts my heart when I see those selfish action of throwing so much food away, by just thinking of the kids who are starving all around the world. Look back to yourself and think again, have you ever think about this problem before?
                 

Pope Francis had once quoted that "Throwing away food is like stealing from the table of those who are poor and hungry." To sum up, we should not waste food, and save some for the poor people.
                

It might appear as if the food got wasted by people, it can still be made into organic fertilizers to feed the plants and soil. Also, it can feed the pigs. This example is used to illustrate that how organic fertilizers is helping the environment and not harming it. Although this argument seems persuasive at first, in reality people waste extremely too much. Some wasted food cannot be made into organic fertilizers at once, and not only this but also some kind of food can not be made as well. Giving the evidence, it is logical to conclude that food wasting is a part of what is harming the environment now. After looking closely at both sides of the issue, you can see clearly that people are trying to make food wasting to be positive by making food to organic fertilizers, but still it can not change. More importantly, food wasting is still damaging our environment horribly right now.
                

I want all the people living on this planet Earth to stop wasting because this is causing a serious problem for our planet Earth. To summarize, people don’t know they thought it is nothing so significant, but it actually is, it affects our environment and even our body health. People should be strongly recognize that they are horribly destroying their only place to live “Home”.


The author's comments:

I wrote this article because have experienced many food wasting problms, I had readed a lot of starvation article and it is horrible. People might say that this is nothing so sinificant but no it actually is, just read my article and you will understand what I am saying.