Failure Is Forerunner of Success: A Conceptual Critique | Teen Ink

Failure Is Forerunner of Success: A Conceptual Critique

March 1, 2016
By WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
19 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller


Human nature, inevitably, at all occasions, craves for success and glory. Mankind will cease to make development if they don't yearn for success. Now there are a couple of questions which, curiously and skeptically, appear in our mind. Is the concept of failure and success systematic i.e. only certain types of individuals can reach success point; whereas others' fate is to perish during the struggle or is it a man himself who chooses his own destiny? How have our past role models succeeded, remarkably, that the world is developing, day by day, and what was their roadmap for success? The answers to these questions are concisely available in this article.

Success is described as the realization of some aim while failure is to be abortive in doing so. Human struggle simply means the forceful efforts made in one's journey to reach the desired destination or to accomplish a specific goal. During a struggle, one may achieve success, one after the other, or end up in failure; a direct route, or one may experience failures, now and again, but continue his/her journey till success is realized; a complex route. The complex route clearly manifests that failure can be a forerunner of success. John Kehoe, in his book "Mind Power Into The 21st Century", aptly pointed out, "very seldom do opportunities stand up and wave a flag at you; they more likely come disguised as problems or failures".

During one's struggle, the person, ineluctably, faces obstacles like hurdles, distractions and natural difficulties. Hurdles can be invisible or visible, inner or outer. For example, procrastination towards some work creates an inner/invisible hurdle while completing the job within a specific time; in contrast, paying inappropriate governmental tax is a visible/outer hurdle in running a business. A distraction diverts a person from his/her work through joyful amusements/horrible interventions. Natural difficulties are neither hurdles nor distractions; rather, they are innate inevitabilities of life. They include aging, location of birth, the family of birth, limited physical strength, etc. These obstacles are the reasons why we fail, off and on.

We may categorize people into two groups; achievers and non-achievers. Achievers are those who succeed, outstandingly; on the other hand, non-achievers are those who face problems/failures and, ultimately, give up. Both groups - achievers and non-achievers - face various obstacles, from time to time, during the struggle, but their way of combating with those obstacles is different. Have you ever noticed that how have some famous scientists, engineers, businessmen, doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs succeeded? Well... the key to their success was a positive mindset and wise working approach.

A positive mindset includes optimism and positivity towards available items/environs. Optimism is an astounding thing; it exist, although, within the person's mind but can make his/her life dynamic and hopeful. A great facet of optimism is that it maintains the motivation of a person even if he/she fails while executing a certain task. Positivity is expecting or looking good; instead of expecting or looking bad. For example, let us put a glass, which is half filled with water, in front of a group of people and ask them to tell us what they think about it. A negativity-driven individual will insist that the glass is half empty; whereas a positivity-driven individual will state that the glass is half filled. Research says that people with a positive mindset instantly find solution(s) to the most complex problems and have more lifespan/achievements than others.

Foundation of positivity lies in self-talk or auto-suggestion. Self-talk is the flow of unspoken thoughts appearing in one's mind, every so often. They may be positive or negative. Positive self-talk makes someone optimistic and courteous; on the contrary, negative self-talk makes someone pessimistic and discourteous. Wisdom and knowledge, too, are vital tools for attaining a positive mindset. Wisdom is an intangible ability which helps the person to make effective right decisions; it is enhanced through everyday experiences and contemplation. Knowledge is the information of any reality; it is gained through learning and education. Meditation, too, helps in building a positive mindset. It is focusing deeply in silence to gain relaxation/rehabilitation. Meditation helps in limiting negative thoughts and boosting positive outlook. It is said that suffering is due to our disconnection with our soul; meditation helps us to build that connection.

To become even more positive, mankind should live associational and collective life, heartily and profoundly. For this purpose, people ought to develop a sense of sympathy as well as empathy towards fellow people. This, as a result, helps the society to live happily and without anger, the very root of a negative mindset. Furthermore, by accompanying with positive thinkers, people can share ideas, thoughts and information in a positive way, without depleting their mental energy. A supportive tip to live a proper collective life, taken from the book "Mind Power into the 21st Century", written by John Kehoe, is: "we are all members of the same universal family and, as such, must make ourselves available to one another in more loving, caring and fulfilling ways if we wish to grow."

By now you might be relatively more positive, but to be successful, positivity is not the only tool; there should be another ingredient in the formula. The ingredient is demonstrating/adopting a wise working approach while doing a job. It includes realizing inner tendencies, planning ahead, managing time and maintaining health.

Factually, nobody is perfect i.e. one may be good in executing some specific jobs while poor in carrying out other tasks. This shows that realizing our tendency in the start is vital for success. Going against the right tendency is foolishness and can create trouble(s) in the coming future. For example, if one's inclination is engineering and the person starts studying about medicines, in start, he/she will face difficulties and, in the end, the person will neither be able to become a successful medical specialist nor be able to change his/her field easily.

Planning is to arrange a to-do list/schedule to carry out the job(s) whether in different junctures or at one fell swoop. Planning on multiple matters/occasions is indispensable for winning/succeeding. Just doing the work impulsively i.e. without planning, will not only lead the person towards a fuss but also, he/she won't be able to complete the work efficiently. All successful people plan, rigorously and creatively, towards their work.

Time management is using time in the most efficient and effective way. To manage time, one just has to plan his/her priorities, innovatively, such that, the person also gets time for other activities even after finishing the work. This has many benefits e.g. it leads the person towards no burnout and, overall, the individual achieves more. All in all, by managing time, wisely, one can finish your work, steadily and completely.

During all this, we shouldn't neglect a famous phrase: "health is wealth". Health is a comprehensive concept; it includes physical strength, mental power and spiritual wellness of a person while wealth is to possess an abundance of worldly items e.g. money, property, etc. But in this statement, health is quoted as (the greatest) wealth. There is no better gift other than having a good health. It should be kept in mind that without good health there is neither real happiness nor enviable success. There are multiple methods of staying healthy e.g. spend time in the natural environment, eat a balanced diet, physical exercise regularly, drink an appropriate amount of water, etc.

By taking the aforementioned approach of working into account, we can say the four dimensions of human struggle are as follows:

Having no positive mindset but a wise working approach (wasted efforts),
Having positive mindset but no wise working approach (idealism),
Having positive mindset and a wise working approach (greatest success) &
Having no positive mindset and no working approach (utter failure)

In this article, it has been depicted that failures are an unavoidable part of life i.e. they appear, now and then, but success can be realized even after experiencing failure(s). Furthermore, to reach the greatest success, a comprehensive approach (above-given roadmap of success) must be implemented. Whether one is weak or strong, trained or untrained, intelligent or dull, experienced or inexperienced, optimistic or pessimistic, passionate or apathetic; there is always a possibility for the person to succeed, either low or high. I would like to follow up and conclude this article by mentioning an adage of Tokuchi Toua, character of a TV show (One Outs) created by Shinobu Kaitani: "A low possibility means it's not zero".


The author's comments:

Two words which haunt and attract all and sundry, day and night, are failure and success, respectively. We proposed that failure is not fate; rather, a perishing scene and success is not a destination; instead, a continuous journey. Moreover, the two wings of a successful flight of human struggle are a positive mindset and wise working approach. By following these effective attitudes, one can achieve the highest level of success i.e. good health, inner satisfaction, recognition and position.