Silver Is NOT an Option | Teen Ink

Silver Is NOT an Option

February 10, 2016
By sarasky BRONZE, Hillsborough, New Jersey
sarasky BRONZE, Hillsborough, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"One day I wont remember what I got on that test, but I sure as hell will remember the time Carly slapped Katie at 1 am."


 Silver, bronze, fifth, eighth, participant; all the words share one thing in common. There not first and they did not win. Its simple, if you didn't win, you lost. Competition has been a huge part of our society for thousands of years. Ever since the first Olympics in ancient Greece, competition became very popular and serious. Athletes were there to do one thing, and that one thing was to win. Even in modern society today, we still value competition and accept nothing less. “Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing,” are the forever echoing, famous words of a well-known football coach. Throughout the years, before and after these words were spoken, they were still obeyed, in combat and in sports or activities.


In combat, it is so easy to accept defeat. It is so easy to become discouraged and just want to go home. But those braves life's know more then anyone that winning is the only option. “In war there is no substitute for victory,” the brave and wise words of five star American army general, Douglas MacArthur. He shares the same mentality as the football coach, that victory is the only thing he will accept. However, for soldiers a lose doesn't just mean a record broke or not gold metal, to these soldiers it means so much more. To those in combat, if they don't win, our country and lives may change as we know it. Our laws and government may completely change if these braves souls accept defeat rather than fight for victory. These wise soldiers understand that losing isn't just a small form of defeat where you cry for a day and get over it, a defeat is life changing.


In day to day life, kids are taught and raised that losing isn't acceptable. This is a common rule in almost all activities, whether it's football, baseball, lacrosse, dance, cheer or even school. Winning is even publicized on tv for most sports. A reality TV show called “Dance Moms” was formed to portray the girls winning and need to win. The head coach, Abby Lee Miller is often seen saying “Second place?! I don't do second place.” Now, some people would look at second out of three hundred kids and think how amazing that person must be to beat two hundred and ninety nine other kids. However, when you're in second place, you begin to question why you couldn't of tried just a little hard, just gave another ten more percent into it. When you're in second place, staring at the silver medal around your neck that's choking you with envy, that's when you realize winning really is the only option. This doesn't just apply in the world of reality Tv shows, this is the mentality and attitude all kids are being raised to understand and live by.  Clearly, the upcoming generations understand that winning is the only option.


“Second place builds character,” is a common quote a mother says to her weeping child as the kid rips the silver medal of defeat off their neck. Being able to stand up there and get the only thing they wanted, the thing they trained years for, ripped away for them in the time it takes to say “In second place...” is heart breaking and it truly does build character to stand up there and clap with a smile mumbling out a “congrats”. Although being humble is a respected, while desired trait, being a competitor is much more value. Those that don't accept the defeat and get back into training mode with the mindset of needing to win are the kids that win. People who believe they will win because that's the only choice they have will go much farther in life then the people who believe it's okay to lose as long as you lose with class. Those people that have the mindset of winning go on to be our CEOs, our bosses, our inventors, these are the people that will one day run our world. Although people that get second become humble, those who get first become determined, and determination is ultimately the key to all success.


Winning is the only option to most people. Weather an athlete, a soldier or a normal person, they all understand the importance and need to win. It isn't just about a gold medal, it's about the determination and hard work that comes before it. By believing “Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing,” like the famous football coach, who spoke those words, is how you win. With a mindset like this you learn that winning really is the only choice you have and you should never accept anything less from yourself. So, next time you get that gold metal, wear it proud, next time you name is called for first, stand up tall, no more participation medals for you because winning is the only option!


The author's comments:

This is a persuasive peice proving the quote "winning isnt everything, it is the only thing" is accurate.