The American Dream | Teen Ink

The American Dream

By erin_cymone SILVER, Mccordsville, Indiana
erin_cymone SILVER, Mccordsville, Indiana

"don't take my kindness for weakness, or my silence for respect"

Everyone has their own idea of what the american dream actually means. Some strive to maintain happiness, peace and harmony. While others hope for success and wealth. The words i chose to represent the american dream are, Equality, happiness, success, wealth, justice, independence, freedom,diversity, acceptance, and opportunity.

The first idea that i thought represented the american dream the most was opportunity. America is mostly known for its opportunities. By opportunities, I mean better jobs, education, living conditions, etc. This is why people from low developed countries immigrate or come to america to access these opportunities to create a better life for themselves or for their families.

Diversity is the next word that i chose. America is known as the melting pot because it contains multiple religions, ethnicities, languages, backgrounds and cultures all in one place.

Justice is another representation of the american dream. Justice is the idea of everyone being treated fairly and equally. It is not only of the major points in our pledge of allegiance but it is also what every american citizen has the right to. 

The last word that i think most accurately represents the american dream is freedom. Having freedom is being able to act, speak, and think without hindrance.This includes freedom of speech, expression, and religion.. Freedom is also another reason why people decide to come to america.  In other countries like afghanistan, citizens dont have the freedom to dress and look how they want, say what they want, and most dont even have the freedom to practice their own religion. In america everyone has the right to practice their own religion and to act or feel as they please.

In my opinion, these words accurately and most importantly represent the american dream because, not only do they represent us individually, they also represent us as a whole. I chose these words and pictures because i felt that they were good examples and thoroughly represent what i think the nation's idea of the american dream is.

i wrote this piece for my american literetaure class. this is wha i think the ideal representation of the american dream is.