How Electoral Collages Ruin Democracy | Teen Ink

How Electoral Collages Ruin Democracy

November 18, 2015
By Anonymous

Electoral Collages are 538 electors who cast votes to decide the President and Vice-President of the United States. Usually, political parties nominate electors at their state conventions. Sometimes that process occurs by a vote of the party's central committee. The electors are usually state-elected officials, party leaders, or people with a strong affiliation with the Presidential candidates. This sounds fair, but this system gives more power to the small states. Lets look at Wyoming; Wyoming has three electoral collages with 135,000 people per vote. While California has fifty-five has 411,000 people per vote. This in turn means that it takes three times as many voters in California to make equal one Wyoming voter. By this standard the entire election is based off only a hand full states meaning to win an election all you need to do is care for these states and the election is won. Electoral Collages cased eighty percent of all votes cast in America to have no impact on the outcome of the election. While the constitution made electoral collages it also did not set many laws for them in fact, states had to make the laws. This causing twenty-four states to allow their electoral votes to be cast how ever the voter wants. This has happened over eighty times. In 2004 one of Minnesota’s electoral votes cast their vote for a “John Ewards” because he was a drunk and miss put John Edwards.