Women Rights Are Human Rights! | Teen Ink

Women Rights Are Human Rights!

By bailss1 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
bailss1 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

I am a feminist. I believe in female empowerment and believe that rights that men have, women should have also. There should be a balance between the two. Feminism is an ongoing movement that should keep moving until people get the message and make a change. As kids, we are always told that men are stronger and tougher than women. So, I grew up believing that, but as I grew to be older, that is not the case nowadays. Women are some of today’s toughest leaders.

When someone thinks of a feminist, they think of a “man-hater”, but that is not the case. Most of the time is women, who are judging us feminist, when they should join in on the movement. Those women are brainwashed to think, that men are superior to their own gender. When the word feminism pops into someone’s head today, they usually imagine, Rosie the Riveter. She is also not a “men-hater.” She was the true definition of a feminist. She believed in women empowerment and that women should embrace their rights as humans. “We can do it,” she says, and we can do it! We can achieve, just like men. We are equal.

In today’s society, women are always judged, for the way they look, dress, and their overall appearance. Women used to dress conservatively, because it was deemed like “whorish” to dress the way they wanted. That’s the way men wanted them to dress, they had no say in what they could or could not wear.  That was one right woman did not have. Now a days, women dress the way they like too because they can. The can dress freely and be as expressive as they want without having to follow rules by men. 

The saying, “Women belong in the kitchen and take of the kids,” is sexist. Why can’t men belong in the kitchen? Or take care of the kids? This saying is not only offensive to women, but also degrading.

Men have rights, women have rights, and we all have rights. It is easy for men to gain respect and rights but, it is an uphill battle for women just to gain a little of respect from men. Let alone rights. Women rights are human rights.

Rynn750 SILVER said...
Rynn750 SILVER, Somewhere, Wisconsin

"A cynical young person is almost the saddest sight to see, because it means that he or she has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing." - Maya Angelou

I like the article, and I'm ready to offer some critique as well. First, "women rights" is grammatically incorrect. You can either say "female rights" or "women's rights." Second, you made very good points throughout the article, but I think you should expand on them, either with statistics or with personal experience. Third, you're very concise and have good word choice. Keep writing!

Lucy-Agnes PLATINUM, Clarksville, Ohio

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity. Be fools for Christ. And have the courage to suffer the contempt of the sophisticated world." - Justice Antonin Scalia

What is degrading about being in the kitchen taking care of the kids? That sounds like an absolutely beautiful and dignified responsibility and privilege to me. As a girl, I've never felt degraded by anyone except for those of the feminists who seem to think womanhood isn't as good as manhood.