Bullies Are Not Cool, They Are Cruel | Teen Ink

Bullies Are Not Cool, They Are Cruel

By CiaraSpriggs15 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
CiaraSpriggs15 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

Bullying is a huge problem everywhere and needs to be stopped. There are several types of bullying such as: cyber bullying, physical bullying, and verbal bullying. Bullying leads to life-threatening situations. “According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly thirty percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of being bullied.” No human should have to go through being afraid to go to public places because of others actions.

Verbal bullying is the most common type of bullying. Verbal bullying causes teens to be insecure. Humans should not have to feel insecure about their appearances. There is an expectation in which everyone can’t fulfill, but they constantly try to change their body to meet those “standards.” Between the ages 10-14 is when bullying occurs the most. Physical bullying happens less often. Bullying often happens without even realizing. Bullying is not just hitting, or calling names; bullying can be damaging others properties or embarrassing peers. Cyber bullying occurs for most high school kids because of the access to technology, but it is the least frequent to happen.

Bullying is not illegal unless its harassment, but that does not make it right.

Yes, it is understandable that the bully may have experienced a troubled past, but that does not mean it is okay to trouble others. If witnessing someone being bullied, an adult should immediately be notified. Do not be a bystander knowing that what your friends are doing is wrong. Bullying can be prevented in several ways. Most kids are afraid of what their peers will think of them if they help the kid being bullied. They can save a child’s life unknowingly.  No, every child who is bullied does not commit suicide, but it is better to take precautions before it takes the wrong path.

Bullying causes depression. Think about what would happen if it were your family member? Would the victim be paid attention to more? Would the bully get help? It is time we take bullying more serious and put ourselves in the victim’s shoes.