Gun Violence | Teen Ink

Gun Violence

November 6, 2015
By AmayaR BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
AmayaR BRONZE, White Castle, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Gun violence is a serous crime that is often committed among all states. Citizens should not be allowed to carry unlicensed weapons with them in any state. There is a trend of death on not just American lives, but all lives due to gun violence. Guns are supposed to be used for protection and war, not for harm towards another human being. Guns are used inappropriately and not just in America, they are used inappropriately all over the country.

We are allowed to carry guns and have possession over them in America. This goes back to the second amendment, which states that we as citizens have “The right to bear arms.” On December 17, 1791, this right was given/made by our founding fathers. The amendment was at the time made for fighting war and made to have the best equipped army. The quote was once said by our founding fathers, “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” Guns were made for our freedom against another country who threatened our rights and freedom.

This democracy that we have, allows anyone with a license to have possession of a firearm. More than half of the time, there are people who aren’t licensed that still have possession of a firearm. The second amendment wasn’t intentional for machine guns or regular guns to harm one another, or murder an innocent person. A perfect example of that is George Zimmerman, a man who hurt an innocent teenage boy.

There are laws in order to keep those safe against guns. We all know there are people who still go against these laws, or try to turn the law around. Anybody can be in possession of a gun, a killer, a regular citizen, even a young teacher. Recently there was a teenager in possession of a firearm, and he harmed himself while trying to take pictures with the gun. Family members reported the incident, and it was reported that the gun was found earlier that day.

Gun violence happens everywhere, and a possession of a firearm shouldn’t be allowed to just anyone that is “old enough.” Backgrounds/doctor records should be checked and more should be put into selling firearms rather than just asking an age or asking for ID, and letting them leave with a firearm, not knowing what they’re capable of doing while it is in their possession.