Protection Problems | Teen Ink

Protection Problems

By Adup5 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Adup5 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana

The biggest problem we are facing right now is our security, and protection promised to the U.S. citizens by the U.S. government. The government promised the citizens that the police will protect us, but I see that they are overpowering us. Some people feel this is what we deserve. Others feel we need answers. Is there anyway we can get answers? 

On August 9, 2014, in Ferguson, Missouri a young man by the name of Michael Brown was fatally shot for something he didn’t do and refused to surrender for it. Well he got what he deserved. NO, he didn’t. Michael Brown was in the wrong for refusing to surrender but he didn’t deserve death for his wrongdoings. Now, people want to say, “He should’ve just surrendered.” REALLY? Who would surrender for a crime they didn’t do, especially if they were already afraid for their life.

On July 13, Sandra Bland, a 28-year-old black woman, was found dead in her jail cell in Waller County, Texas, which was three days after she got arrested for a traffic stop gone wrong. During Bland’s arrest she got into a confrontation with the officer, which obviously made the officer angry. When she was arrested, and taken to jail she was then in the care of the police officer. The next morning she’s found dead, and they said, “She hung herself.” Why would she hang herself if she weren’t convicted of anything that gives her a heavy charge? They can’t answer that. We need answers! If that’s protection, we are “very safe.”

If this is what “protection” is I don’t want it. Well, I do. It’s the argument of the century. What if we decide to step up? We might end up like everybody else. Of course we’re too scared. If we come together we could stop a crime from happening, a mother from crying, a police from firing, and a trial from rising. I’m not saying Michael was right for running, and Sandra was right for arguing, but the policemen weren’t right for their crimes.