Small Town Bisexual | Teen Ink

Small Town Bisexual

By intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas
intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person." - Paper Towns, John Green

It's 2015 right? Why are gays still being treated as second class people? Why are we still getting slammed by people with religion and posters saying we are going to burn in hell? These questions have not yet been answered but still run through my mind, simply because I live in a small town and I am faced with these challenges every day along with many others. Living in this small town I have been faced with a lot such as me being critized for being African-American but now I face much worse because I am a African-American bisexual. I came out around the same time gay marriage was legalized in all fifty states but that also happened to be the same time the rebel flag conflict began. I knew no one cared about gay marriage in this small town and that rebel flags were going to be flying left and right. As I grow up in this small town I am being shamed by so many and I am now being disowned by my family only because I like girls and guys. I am bisexual and I'm not afraid to say it, but everyone else is afraid to accept it they are afraid of what is different which is sometimes known as homophobia. In my opinion I do not believe that homophobia, I believe that people are afraid of whats different and who that don't follow the bible. But the thing is I know people who are gay and that go to church and pray, but are still told that they are going to hell and that God hates them. And I do not believe that one bit until someone can say I've talked to God personally and he said he hated all gays and that will never happen. This small town is full of those type of people and it makes it hard for me and others to grow up in it. Love is love no matter what gender and people need to realize that but no one can force them to realize it; but I hope they can at least realize that hate will never win.

I was inspired to write this by the on going conflict that gays have, the hate that everyone is going through simply because of who they like, and last but not I was inspired to write this by my friend who is a lesbian and continues to go through hate but come out on top.