I Run Like a Girl, and I'm Proud of It | Teen Ink

I Run Like a Girl, and I'm Proud of It

By ArleneDawson SILVER, Cupertino, California
ArleneDawson SILVER, Cupertino, California

“It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” - Albus Dumbledore

A young boy was playing catch at school during recess. He threw the ball as hard as he could towards his friend, but didn’t have enough power. “You throw like a girl.” teased the boy’s friend. “My sister throws pretty hard.” said the boy. “Yeah, but boys throw faster.” The boys continue to catch the ball, idly talking as they continue to toss the ball back and forth. The bell rings, and the children go back to their classrooms.

“You throw like a girl.” You run like a girl.” You scream like a girl.” Since when did this become an insult? The term “like a girl” is often used in a demeaning and rude manner. In a generation where women are being recognized for their achievements and not their housework, must this phrase live on?  

A PE class was playing softball. A boy swung and hit the ball. He jogged slowly towards first base. “C’mon!” yelled his team from the dugout. “You run like a girl!” shouted a girl. The boy laughed and attempted to speed up. The ball is thrown to the first baseman, and is caught. The batter is out.

Even girls use this pre-feminist expressions. And the truth is, people use it without meaning to hurt them. But it still sends a message- that males and females don’t have equal rights- yet. No one deserves to have a label which doesn’t fit them forced upon them.  The world is changing, and even miniscule details like this help make it a better place. We humans would rather be known as equal rights supporters than as condemners and stereotypers. So why not act, and make that change?