A Blind Attempt of Amputation | Teen Ink

A Blind Attempt of Amputation

By Random100 DIAMOND, Iloilo, Other
Random100 DIAMOND, Iloilo, Other

Imagine you open your Facebook account, and post something about your  "friend" who spread false stories about you. You are so fueled with anger and hatred that you become unconscious to what you write. Then, the next morning, a knock at your door will break your reverie. The unexpected visitors will be a couple of policemen, and they'll invite you to join them in their headquarters. Your mind will be clouded by questions. And in just a spur of seconds, you'll be jailed. Wondering why? It's simply because you expressed rudely what you felt yesterday.

Does this situation move you? Well, if it does, then you mirror how every Filipino blogger, journalist, and even ordinary citizen reacted when they heard that the Philippines passed a Republic Act 10175 or commonly known as the Cyber Crime Prevention Act of 2012. At first, this law tasted like a sweet treat since it could be an answer to cease cybersex, child pornography, identity theft and libel which are rampant in the country and considered to be illegal. But the aftertaste turned out to be sour. By analyzing the contents, the law may duct-tape the freedom of speech.

Generally, the cybercrime law states that if you have no good words to say, you better don't say anything at all. No bad comments. If this would be the case, Philippines would be known as the country of good leaders even if it isn't. It would place a huge threat to bloggers and journalists if they spit the foul leadership and sloppy decisions the higher authority makes. Truth, then, is chained, and Filipinos would be left under the canopy of lies.

However, Filipinos become persistent when their rights are barricaded. Then, how did they fight for their right to speak?

A Filipino would prefer to get imprisoned because of expressing himself than to be choked forever with words. The constant appeal through blogs, posts and tweets brought everything back into place. The Supreme Court (SC) of the Philippines stopped the law implementation through a Temporary Restraining Order, and would take effect until February 2013. Eventually, a series of reviews was made that led to an amendment of the law putting freedom of speech at the top of all. However, anyone who crafts words with malice debasing a person's reputation is still punishable. SC ruled that the controversial provision of online libel is constitutional, but this is limited to the original author, and not to those who receive and react. For that, cyberspace is still the platform of expression, and the Philippines proves that it's still a democratic country.

To speak and to write are great ways to express yourself. You are given with the tongue and hands to roll and scribble the words. A lot of threats are disguised to get you amputated disabling you to shed and taste truth. But with persistence, no brick walls can withstand earthquakes.

New things come. They can mean a great leap forward or a massive step-back. Be vigilant.