Love of Money Is the Root of All Evil | Teen Ink

Love of Money Is the Root of All Evil

June 28, 2015
By Jhanvi BRONZE, Pune, Other
Jhanvi BRONZE, Pune, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“He liked the mere act of reading, the magic of turning scratches on a page into words inside his head.”


Love of money is a recognized evil and it is born of an excess desire for it. People want money for various reasons, for security, status, to be powerful and for various other reasons.

 

This is also known as materialism, which brings in its wake tension and unhappiness. Evil takes birth when people are obsessed with money and compare everything in terms of money. Desire to earn money is not the root of all evil; everybody needs money to fulfill their needs. The problem arises when are wants increase. Thus, the want of money increases, we start to crave more of it and are never satisfied, this gives birth to greed. Desires should not be confused to be the root cause of greed. To be without desires is to be dull and inactive. Only when our desires are based on selfish motives, we call it greed. Human beings should only have that much money which fulfills their needs. When you want much more than your needs, you want more money and this want leads to greediness. Due to this you would want everything that you can lay your hands on. Love for money makes us selfish and proud. We tend to look down on others who have less money than us. A man then becomes shameless. He will stop at nothing, to achieve his goals and fulfill his desires. People commit crimes for the desire to have more money affects everyone from world leaders to mundane people.


There is a famous proverb, greed begets sin and sin is the cause of death. Even in mundane life greed for money causes unrest because this desire is a self destructive passion. It will not let you live in peace until it completely destroys you. To have more money, man’s mind invents unethical methods to achieve its target. Too much of power or wealth steals away peace of mind. Greed for wealth causes mental unbalance in man; this path of excessive desire only goes down and compels you to commit one sin after another. How much more unhappy can a man be?


It has been proved that merely a desire for money is not greed. Excess of money can also be used for noble causes. Bill Gates donates millions/billions of dollars through his foundation to help children in developing countries. They do not fall in the category of people who love money. They are guided by noble thoughts.
Whereas greed for money gives wings to a man’s materialistic ambitions.
  
NOTE- The following article is my personal view point. Please leave comments . You can also suggest a topic for my next work.


The author's comments:

"I wrote this for my English class and thought about publishing it"