Bullying Today | Teen Ink

Bullying Today

By georgia2018 SILVER, Cannonfalls, Minnesota
georgia2018 SILVER, Cannonfalls, Minnesota

happiness is a journey not a destination

I grew up having four sisters three of them were older, so as I grew up I got to see them go through high school and my mom helping them as they came home crying because they were being bullied at school. Sadly today bullying is still an issue. Maybe even more than it should be, In my opinion all of the attention it is getting and all of our technology that we have is making it worse.

In an article on the click on detroit website, there is a section in an article on the role of social media, and it talked about how social media allows us to torment each other and this one of the big point I am trying to get across. That because of all our technology that we have it makes it easier for kids, teenagers, and even adults to bully people when they do not want to say it to the persons face. Now I am not saying that we should not have technology because people are bullying using technology, that’d be like saying we should not be able to talk to people because people bully face to face. I am saying in my opinion technology makes it a lot easier to bully and makes it worse than face to face. In an article on the kids health organization website, they said how twenty five percent of the public schools admit that bullying happens weekly, or even daily. Now to some people that does not seem like a high percentage, but it is, twenty five percent of public schools saying that it happens daily or weekly not every once in a while is not a good thing at all. Now that article also shows five steps to keep your kids from becoming targets for bullying. Now there were two that kind of stood out to me, one of them was talking about lunch money, and how if you have your kids pack their own lunch that will be less of a problem but i think that most schools use so much technology now days that bringing lunch money doesn't really happen that often any more. The second one was tell the kids that if they ignore the bully it will get better, but in almost every incident I have seen, the bully does it in front of other kids, or when the bully knows other people will see. They like all of the attention that they get from it so as long as someone is looking at them they don't care if the person that they are bullying is looking at them or not, and if they can't get the attention for it now days they can go on the internet and do it so even more people will see it and be more likely to join in because its not face to face and for most people that makes it easier to bully.  now I know it probably seems like I am basically saying that bullying is getting better and more under control because that website listed ways that parents can help their children and there are a ton of websites about bullying and cyber bullying right?, there are ways listed to help online for parents,but nowadays i do not think that parents talk about búlying face to face as much anymore until it is almost too late for the kids because they do not see allot of it especially with cyber bullying because most parents do not have the same web sites as there kids and if they do the kids might get different sites the ones they were told my mom or dad not to use and especially then because then theres not only the problem of explaining to your parents that your ‘bestfriend’ is bullying you and wont stop but that you got that app or used that website that they specifically told you not to and no teenager likes getting yelled at by there parents or not very many of them do. to me they weren't very up to date about their bullying facts, but that is because, in my opinion, bullying has also changed a lot over the years. Now I am not changing my opinion by saying it has changed. I can give evidence for that because of course the parents would worry about lunch money, and ignoring them, and things like that. Mainly when they were younger, they got their lunch money taken away! Though if they just ignored the bully, the bully would get bored and leave. What I don't think many parents notice is the bully doesn't get bored when the child ignores them because now they can use cyberspace to attack them. They can also use it to get other kids to join them because “its not in person so whats the harm right? Everyone else commented, or posted,or emailed them the same thing but they'll still want to be my friend because i wasnt the only one that did it!, i didn't want them to do it to me, and no parents will find out because it's on the internet and parents don't diabetes game. Sights As We do. . So how could we get in trouble?” Sadly that is the mindset of alloy teenagers these days.The Do Something organization page basically says what I am trying to get across. About how many teens do bully, but what I do not understand is the amount that say its a problem. There is still the amount of kids that do it. Number five on that page says eighty percent of young people think it is easier to bully online, that means that only twenty percent disagree with that statement. That, to me, is a huge deal because technology is beginning to play a bigger role in our life than we ever expected. Say thirty to forty years ago we never probably would have thought we would be this far advanced in the way we use technology. Sadly today many people don't realize the downside to all of this, teens grow up using technology seeing their parents, siblings, cousins and strangers using it. Then as they get older they get introduced to more and more of it. Now as I was growing up I was never warned “be careful people bully online” because most people like to keep that to themselves. I researched “what to warn a child of when using technology” and I read a lot of the sites and none of them said to watch out for cyber bullying or said anything to do with bullying online. Now to me that was shocking because of how big of a deal bullying is, and everything everyone is doing to make it stop. I thought I would at least find one site that said you should warn your kids about cyber bullying. Yet there wasn't one site I saw, that said anything about  cyber bullying, and that there are teens being cyber bullied and all of this just puzzles me because every time you turn on the tv or the radio or walk outside you hear something about bullying so I would think that they would take charge of cyber bullying as well because of all of our technology