Open Lunch | Teen Ink

Open Lunch

May 18, 2015
By Bennett Harty SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Bennett Harty SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When my mom and dad went to school here, back in the 1900’s, their lunch consisted of thirty five minutes of complete freedom. The bell would ring, and out the door they would bolt, to buy lunch at any of the local places in town, sit and relax with friends in the fresh air, or run a quick errand. They also had the choice to eat at the school, then go outside.  My parents can only remember two incidents in particular where kids got into fender benders, and we all know, if there were more, they would have heard about it  before the next period. So let’s go back to the good old days. Open lunch doesn’t mean more car accidents, it would let students support the local businesses that are in jeopardy of closing and it would teach them  to have some responsibility that they are lacking
     Car accidents is the leading excuse to not have open lunches, according to “marietta times, open lunch pros and cons”, there have been 64,975 crashes during the year of 2011 with students between the ages of 16 and 20. That’s not just for the open lunch either, These statistics include all accidents. some for inattentive driving, and many are of no fault of their own.  Just because there are car accidents doesn't mean people can't handle the privilege of open lunch periods. Accidents do happen to everyone. Jonathan Zimmerman, a professor of education and history at New York University. said,”Though such initiatives (as closed lunches) are often intended to better protect young people, he said, the side effect can be a lost opportunity for them to struggle to make wise choices on their own.”   
      Car accidents aside, all we read about in the local newspaper is how the businesses on the south end of town are suffering due to the closing of an exit on highway 52. Why not open the lunches and boost their economy. Many driving age students are not going to go out every day, but at least they will have the choice to have choices and support our failing community.
    Jonathan Zimmerman continues “Eighteen-year-olds can vote, and they can die in a war in the Middle East, but now school systems are saying that they don’t have the wisdom or maturity to go out to lunch. I find that an astonishing fact.”  Here is an example of the government trying to take away the choices of the youngsters of our country. The simple act of open lunches just means more choices, not all of them will be good, but most will be. Open lunches do not stop behavioral issues, nor do they stop it.
       Having an open lunch does have its ups and downs, it can be dangers to others and the students, mostly because of car accidents, irresponsibility, and its no ones fault but the people it happens to. So why punish others? They might be trying to prevent it but it’s only making more and more students hate school more. For some it will make them feel more secure, maybe some don't want to be at home alone, or have to walk to the restaurant. Even though our school still could have the option to eat at the lunchroom with their meals prepared.