Dress Code | Teen Ink

Dress Code

By juliak BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
juliak BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

Now that temperatures are rising, clothes are becoming less "modest." Dress code "violations" are increasing and distractions are "on the rise." The dress code promotes the "she-asked-for-it" rape culture and sexualizes and objectifies young girls. If young boys are that incompetent that they cannot deal with seeing a shoulder, then they are the problem. Not young girls. Their arms are often sexualized in the media for being buff. So why are mine being sexualized when they do not present the same aesthetic? We should teach young boys not to see women as sexual objects, but instead as their peers and equals. Often girls break dress code without problem. Not one student pays attention to what they're wearing and carry on with their schoolwork like nothing is wrong until a teacher dress codes the student. This is the thing that creates the distraction and pulling the student out of the class to be sent to the office is what is negatively effecting the school day. Not the tank top, and most definitely not the girl's shoulders.