Gender-Segregation | Teen Ink

Gender-Segregation

By MinionForGod SILVER, Nixon, Texas
MinionForGod SILVER, Nixon, Texas

"I didn't receive my acceptance letter to Hogwarts so I'm leaving the Shire to become a Jedi to preach the gospel to all nations." (That's right! I can be a nerd and still love Jesus! God calls me to come as I am and that's what I'm gonna do!)

In some schools, boys and girls chatter amongst themselves in the classroom. Others, though, only mingle with their own gender. This is the effect of a gender-segregated school which only allows alike genders to learn together.

Though the theory that separating girls and boys because they learn differently is valid, it is also slightly corrupted. Some children are raised by their opposite gender, influencing how and what they may think. In addition, God created each boy and girl uniquely; who is to say that He didn't make a particular boy or girl learn like their opposite gender? If the idea that separating genders because their minds develop and function differently is in effect, how are the different-minded students going to learn?

Also, in junior high and high school, teenagers start getting independent and rebellious. This system of gender segregation would only add to the list of things that students would lash out against. Studies have shown that hormones in teenagers can cause the brain to function chaotically. This chaos normally leads to wrong choices being made by the teenager. Therefore, gender-segregation can and will cause teenagers to make terrible choices trying to rebel against the system.

In conclusion, gender-segregation, though a good idea, would be more destructive than beneficial. There is just too high a risk that the system will only cause catastrophe in the lives of students and the people around them. Obviously, believers in gender-segregated classrooms have only looked at the charts and numbers, not the enlightening spirit of reality. Gender-segregation may only eliminate the chances for a young boy or girl to do great things for the world, and for God, because they were forced to think inside the box like the rest of their gender-segregated class. Good will not come from gender-segregation.