Would You Pay $60,000 to Clone Your Dog? | Teen Ink

Would You Pay $60,000 to Clone Your Dog?

By ChairJesus BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
ChairJesus BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois

The science of cloning was introduced to the world in 1997 when the first mammal, Dolly the Sheep, was cloned successfully. Since then, people have applied religion and morals to protest if the act of cloning is right or wrong. There are two different types of cloning, therapeutic and reproductive, both having negative and positive aspects in their midst. But the question is; should cloning be banned?

Therapeutic cloning takes effect by a procedure called Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer, or SCNT. In this method, a scientist takes the nucleus of a somatic cell, which contains the DNA, and removes it from the cell. Then the nucleus of an egg cell is removed. The nucleus of the somatic cell takes the place of the nucleus of the egg. Then “the somatic cell nucleus is reprogrammed by the host cell” (Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer). Last, the cell is zapped with electricity, and the egg divides. This nature of cloning assists in helping scientists “create stem cell therapies that are patient specific and perfectly matched for the patient’s medical condition” (Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer). For example, if an individual needs a kidney transplant, cloning the other kidney the individual has will guarantee them a fitted kidney. This concept could also work with people who may have been severely burnt. The stem cells would give them a chance for the skin to grow back. In all, therapeutic cloning has great potential in society if the world chooses to accept it, and utilize with integrity.

Many people believe that therapeutic cloning is acceptable, but reproductive cloning is offensive to specific individuals.  Reproductive, like therapeutic cloning also uses the process of somatic cell nuclear transfer, but it’s only the first step, whereas in therapeutic cloning, it’s the entire process. It “involves creating an animal that is genetically identical to a donor animal.” “95 to 99% of cloned embryos die before birth, with even the mothers at risk.”(Nancy Harris, 53) With so many deaths of embryos not born, reproductive cloning should have certain limits. Until scientists discover a way for the death rate to decrease, reproductive cloning should be done to an extent. “As long as a human embryo is an embryo, it is not yet a human being even though it might have the potential to be one,”(Nancy Harris, 57) someone might argue. But would you let a child “die” because it’s not yet a “famous business man” but has the potential to be one? There is no sense in constantly letting human embryos die when there are other methods and maybe solutions to solve and discover to prevent the deaths.

To conclude, therapeutic cloning should be allowed and not banned, whereas reproductive cloning should be done to a restriction. Unlike therapeutic cloning, reproductive cloning is not entirely moral but both advance science and help understand the world better with each new discovery. People believe that humans shouldn’t have the ability to control other people’s genetic abilities, and that it is up to God to choose that. Yet people still consume pork despite it being restricted in the word of God in a variety of religions.