Treasure of Waukesha County | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County

April 28, 2015
By Pete64 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Pete64 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Waukesha County is a place filled with rich history and many long standing landmarks.  One that I think should be made a Waukesha Treasure is Kuhtz General Store.  The location has a rich history and has had an impact on multiple generations in the Stone Bank area. 

The store has been around since 1929 and has been in the family for 4 generations.  People living in Stone Bank have grandparents that tell stories about going to Kuhtz as a child.  It has become a part of the town.

The building is not just a general store though, it is a bar and restaurant also, serving drinks, food, ice cream, and anything else you could expect out of a small store. They’ve become the go-to place for almost anyone living in the area, and the fact that they’ve kept up such a reputation for so long says something.  Being a bar, there are many people that regular at Kuhtz.  There are many people I know that have great memories there and hope that the place “will never close.”  When I ask either children or adults from the area about Kuhtz, they always have a story of something positive that happened while they were there.

Kuhtz General Store is an integral part of Stone Bank life.  It has a rich history and has impacted many people who have lived in the area.  It is truly a Waukesha County Treasure as it is treasured by anyone that lives in the area.


The author's comments:

My local county wanted to have people write in about people's opinions on local places that deserve to be considered for the "Treasure of Waukesha County" list.