Family | Teen Ink

Family

April 9, 2015
By Anonymous

  Family is a word that people may not fully understand, or more importantly, understand the meaning of.  For instance, people can say I love my family because they have to, but family is deeper than just having blood/genetic relations. Family is having someone to rely on when nobody else will. A family provides an outlet to express your innermost feelings.  Having a family will allow you to be able to grow off each other in a positive manner.


  Anybody can have a family – mostly everyone has a family but not everyone has a great family relationship. It is very important that everyone has a special relationship with their family because, we never know when we might need them one day. Relying on your family or basically just trusting them is something that I believe is the most important part of a great family relationship. If you can’t trust your family than that can lead to many different types of problems later on in life. For example, it can lead to psychological or mental problems which might later lead to physical problems. So it is very important to have a trustful relationship with your family.
Some people feel like they can’t express their feelings to their family because, of what they might think or say.  I think that your family can sometimes be a judge by shedding light in certain situations pertaining to something that can be to your benefit or detriment.  Your family is the only real support team most people have. That’s basically going back to the topic of relying and having a trustful relationship with your family.  You have to trust your family to be able to take in, and believe the things that your family says in regards to what you express to them.


Being able to grow off of each other in a family relationship is being able to listen to each other’s opinions, and perspectives about different things. If a family doesn’t feel like they don’t need to learn from each other and they think they know it all, that’s not really a good relationship.  If they’re older than you and have more experience, then it’s always good to listen. People say the older, the wiser, and that is a true statement. In a family, the generation before you is always wiser because they been where you are. A family should always listen to each other, not only because they may be older, but because family wouldn’t tell you anything to hurt you.


Being a family goes beyond the genetic makeup of a family. It is so important to have a good relationship with your family. Having a good relationship with your family means trusting them, and being able to rely on them.  It’s also about being comfortable and able to express your feelings to them without being afraid of what they may think. Learning and growing from your family is another important part of having a good relationship. If you don’t feel like you can run to your family for advice, then chances are there is not a good relationship in that family unit. 


The author's comments:

I came up with this piece of writing not only because, I had to for a school grade but, because there are a lot of people in this world that don't like their family or have bad relationships with their family but, little do they know that, no one will love you like your family and I had to learn that the hard way