Real Juvinile Justice | Teen Ink

Real Juvinile Justice

April 15, 2015
By Stokes_H BRONZE, Merced, California
Stokes_H BRONZE, Merced, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A crime is a crime no more, no less, and juveniles who take part in violent crimes should have the same consequences that adults have.  Just about every day, criminals including murderers are being released.  These offenders were sentenced, and now they are often presented with the opportunity of an early release. These criminals being released are juveniles who have committed adult crimes, and convicted. They are being set free because juvenile rights advocate that, “teens have less sophisticated thinking, do not yet have a coherent sense of self, and—science has proven—do not have a fully matured brain.” On the other hand, both adults and juveniles commit similar crimes that are horrendous, therefore juveniles should not be exempt from equality in punishment.


Today, concerns have arisen from the increasing violence taking place in the society. If youths were tried and punished more often as adults, the juvenile crime rate would decline. “In 2012, there were approximately 1,145,800 juvenile crime cases, 212,400 cases of those, were dismissed (EZAJCS). In 2008, 57% of all violent crimes were committed by juveniles.” In general, crime rates could decrease if the penalties were more severe. As a result to diverse ideologies, turmoil and disagreement continues to appear and reappear. This controversial topic lead many scientists and politicians to investigate this concern.


On the Contrary, many protest that “Teenagers engage in more risky behavior than adults.” and “Teens are less able to process information quickly.”


Conversely, “neuroscientists Gregory S. Berns, Sara Moore and Monica Capra of Emory University suggest that teen risk-taking is associated not with an immature brain but with a mature, adultlike brain (Scientific American).” Furthermore, teens who take risks and participate in adult like acts  are more alike to adults and more mature than their peers who are cautious. 


In conclusion, juveniles should not have any leeway in punishment. The law should not make an exception to their decision making and risk taking demeanor. Juveniles who take part in any violent crime should undergo the same punishment, and have the same consequences as an adult. Think about it do you want these criminals wandering free among us.

 

http://ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/ezajcs/asp/process.asp 
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-teens-who-behave-reck/