Blame the Advertisers | Teen Ink

Blame the Advertisers

March 23, 2015
By Anonymous

Are insecurities dangerous? well, here are some facts about teenage insecurity. Teenage insecurities are triggered by advertisers’ fake idea of “the perfect teenager” that portray in our twisted society has embed this idea into every magazine and every article, prime examples being the various Maybelline and Teen Vogue magazines and tv ads. As a result, teenagers have been forcibly introduced to the cruel world of self-harm and self-incrimination. As an account on Pinterest, said, “Confident is Silent. Insecurities are Loud.”


The obvious problem in this situation is that teenagers are exposed to this everyday! According to Wikipedia, teenagers watch 4,000 commercials a year. These ads portray teenagers and adults, having “fun”, promoting the use of cosmetics, informing us of all the opportunities we have to buy our local companies products. I for one, as a teenager say that this is wrong, I say that this takes us away from our families, from our lives basically. The very simple reason an ad is created, is to persuade us to consume, consume, consume!


More and more teenagers are being influenced by such vulgar things, while some insecurities come naturally with puberty, an example being the thought of an imperfect body index, while others are NOT caused by puberty. Another bad habit most teens get into is self-harm, where they inflict pain onto their bodies, whether it be on their forearms, legs, abdomen, back. According to local psychologists, teenagers that are depressed and self-harm are more antisocial and “emo”.


As a teenager who’s self-harmed before, it’s safe to say that advertisers, subconsciously or not, promote dangerous beauty images along with the idea of the “perfect teenager”. If you see someone at school or in public that has scars or seems saddened, don’t hesitate. Help them, you could save a life.


The author's comments:

I feel very strongly about this topic. Please enjoy :)