Phones = Social Isolation | Teen Ink

Phones = Social Isolation

By kody calvan BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii
kody calvan BRONZE, Wailuku, Hawaii

At first I thought smartphones were cool and useful. Then apps where you could communicate to other people around the world was created. Apps like Skype, Fandango and Kik Messenger or any other app that can communicate with others no matter the distance is useful but also harmful. The more unsocialable you get the more lonelier you are. We can solve this by not texting and calling but face to face conversation.

I believe that social media does make people lonelier. According to the Daily Mail,“Researchers analysed a collection of studies to conclude that a connection between Facebook and loneliness exists” (dailymail.com). This article also says that that the most common reason for social media use is that users are searching for friendship but through social media.  As social media users see others posting things and being successful with their lives makes some other people who look at their posts feel bad about their lives and feel lonely.

From researching about this topic Social Isolation I have found out that Social Isolation is actually deadly. “Studies of elderly people and social isolation concluded that those without adequate social interaction were twice as likely to die prematurely”(slate.com). From this article it says that social isolation is deadlier than obesity. Another quote from the article is that “Loneliness is breaking our hearts, but as a culture we rarely talk about it”(slate.com).

On the other side of this, others may argue that this doesn’t happen to everyone. This is true  but the fact that Social Isolation is real and people around the world could be diagnosed with Social Isolation. The people who don’t suffer from Social Isolation most likely keep their real social life in order. Other people could say that this isn’t a serious issue but its real and people around the world at this moment are suffering from it.

In my opinion i think to solve this universal problem we need to limit or cut off all connection to social media and internet. If people do this then they could build more confidence in talking face to face to one another. But if  some people can’t take a big step like that they can start slow by practicing how to talk to people in their head and cutting down internet use by hours. People diagnosed with Social Isolation should also avoid using messenger apps or video calling apps if the person they are trying to talk to isn’t 10000 miles away. The more unsocialable you get the more lonelier you get.