Internet Addiction | Teen Ink

Internet Addiction

By Makaylie Jade Dela Cruz BRONZE, Wailuku, HI 96793, Hawaii
Makaylie Jade Dela Cruz BRONZE, Wailuku, HI 96793, Hawaii

A lot of teenagers spend more time on the internet. They stay indoors instead of going outdoors and being active. As a result, teens can develop Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and depression. Just imagine the future of our generation if this continues. We will be the most overweight and inactive generation in history.

The internet can be addicting. 4 million teens spend more than six hours on the internet. Boys are most likely to be addicted to the internet than girls. Past researchers suggests that 1.4% to 17.9% of adolescents are addicted. Teens can even get depressed if they spend most of their time on the internet. Most teens stay up all night, stare at their phone screens, and going on social media.

Teenagers can experience symptoms such as anxiety, boredom, or irritability after a few days without internet. The internet is making teenagers inactive and even young kids ages 3-7 go on the internet and watch videos on youtube. Some may argue that even if teens didn’t have internet, they would still stay indoors and do something else like sleep. Teens are most likely to get so bored that they would go outside, to the beach or to a local pool.
This should not continue. Our elders are counting on young people like us to make the world better but if us teens are going to continue this then nothing will change. We have to be more active. Volunteer in community services, go to the beach and hangout with your friends, or just go outside and play football. It's not hard to do those things. Get off your phones and be active.

.HaCkEr. said...
.HaCkEr.,
nice facts...