Feminism in Work Force | Teen Ink

Feminism in Work Force

February 26, 2015
By Erika Zendejas BRONZE, Plano, Texas
Erika Zendejas BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since the beginning of time, men have “ruled the world”. Women in today’s world should be able to receive equal pay in the work environment, at the same job that a man has. People should be informed of this, so they’re more conscious of the situation in the workforce. Statistically speaking, when you compare men and women’s overall earnings, men out-earn women. Societies have built themselves on this patriarchal image where the men take care of business. Women have had to sit through this sexist norm, that women can’t do what men can, or can’t do it as well a man. Over the years, societies have come to realize that women aren’t half bad at their job. Women are being recognized more, and are given the credit they deserve. Although that’s a step in the right direction, there’s always egotistical men that get in the way of the everyday, working woman. Still not changing the fact that women don’t receive equal pay.

According to statistics, men out power women in terms of making income, in all almost every job in the world. The only main job where the women makes more than the man is modeling. While some people are okay with this statistic, some more feminist people are not. Even with a college degree, women are prone to still make less than a man at the same job, without a college degree. Now that is not reasonable at all for many reasons. A women in this world has had to work extra hard just to move up the ranks in society. So when an educated women is downgraded next to a man with no education, it gives off a negative view of the standards in the United States. It makes women want to either worker harder to prove people wrong, or give up to abide by societies standards. To give a better perspective on the income difference, women make 80 cents for every dollar a man makes. Although that doesn’t seem like a big difference, when you look at the annual earnings, it can be more than a couple thousands dollars off.


Some might say, that this is reality and it won’t ever change. It won’t ever change that men make more than women.  That no matter what happens, men will always overpower women. Well on the contrary, society is forever changing it’s norms. It might not be at the rate women might want it to change, but it is. Women have proved they can handle the same exact work as men. Yet are still not being fully appreciated like the men in the same field.


In conclusion, women are being degraded in terms of how much money they make compared to how much a man makes at the same job. Therefore people should take the time to fully understand the problem. When you understand the problem, you can take action to try and help the situation.

Citations/ Sources:
"In Pictures: 15 Jobs Where Women Earn More Than Men." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2015.
"Knowledge Center." Knowledge Center. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.
"Pay Equity & Discrimination." — IWPR. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.