Single-Sex Education in the Nation | Teen Ink

Single-Sex Education in the Nation

By Coolfroggy1 BRONZE, McKinney, Texas
Coolfroggy1 BRONZE, McKinney, Texas

Why should someone be separated by their own gender in an educational setting? This is what some schools are doing across the nation. The practice of Single-Sex education is illegal and discriminatory, as stated by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The ACLU actually attacked a school in Kentucky that offered this practice, and the ACLU pointed out that the school, by offering this, was violating Title IX and The Equal Educational Opportunities Act.

Not only is the practice of Single-Sex Education illegal, but it is impractical. The gender separation will affect the kids later in life, when they have to face people of the opposite sex in everyday life. They will not be sure of what to do when they are forced to encounter the other sex later in life when they have been sheltered their entire life. There are studies that have show that if in a co-ed classroom, the majority of students are female, then the grades are higher overall, while if the classroom is entirely female, then the "extra points" go away. The benefits of having a Single-Sex classroom does not outweigh the natural differences that would still be there in a co-ed classroom, because people just learn differently.

Overall, people should not be segregated while they are still children in school.This inhibits them from being exposed to people of the opposite sex while their hormones are still under control. They will have a better time, learn more, and get better grades if they are in a co-ed classroom, rather than if they were in a Single-Sex environment.