Objects and Humans | Teen Ink

Objects and Humans

By Canadian_Goose SILVER, Goshen, Indiana
Canadian_Goose SILVER, Goshen, Indiana

Unintellegent, weak, passive, emotional, quiet, patient, nurturing, dependent, irrational, subjective, and accepting. These are a few words, in today’s society, that define women. Muscular, tough, tall, assertive, independent, logical, rational, brave, competitive, athletic, and dominant are words that define men in our society. Women have always been seen as mere object that are there to look pretty and do all the cleaning and cooking and laundry and sewing and gardening and shopping and taking care of the children. They’re made to do these things because they aren’t smart enough or skilled enough or strong enough to do anything else.
Women are seen as the weak ones and men, the strong ones. I think it’s time we move past that.

First of all, Women aren’t weak. Only women have to live with another human being growing inside them for 9 months. Only women have to then give birth to that human, which is the pain equivalent of fracturing 20 bones at the same time. That is more pain than a human can bear. So, stop calling everyone a girl when they can’t do something involving pain and strength because in my book, that would be called a compliment.

Secondly, women are seen as objects. Every day all over the world women are harassed and cat-called on the street. Either men don’t know how to compliment or they think it’s okay. Telling someone that you’d ‘tap that’ is not a compliment, it is harassment. Some women are scared to walk in big cities alone for the fear of being cat-called or followed by men. Men who think women are just a thing for them to look at and play with. Men who think women aren’t humans.

Now, some people might argue that the only reason I say this is because I don’t like men and have a problem with them or that I want women to be the dominant gender. That is a false accusation. I have no problem with men other than that they think they are superior to women. And I don’t want a dominant gender, that’s the problem I want to fix. I want women to have the chance to be heard, so they have a chance to live in today’s society. So they can get a good job and get the same salary as a man. So they don’t have to worry they’ll be discriminated against because of something they really have no control over.

I think it’s time to change the way we look at and treat women. We should stop letting something so simple define our lives. Something so simple define who we are and how we act and who we trust. Something as simple as our gender.

Women have come a long way. They are now allowed to vote, have jobs, well jobs in parlament, and no longer have to be bossed around by men all day. We still have a long way to go though. I see it everyday in school; a guy calls another guy a girl for not being able to do something and they take it like it's the worst insult in the world. Is it really that bad to be called a girl? In my opinions it isn't, it's a compliment.