Seatbelts and Airbags: Worth the Risk? | Teen Ink

Seatbelts and Airbags: Worth the Risk?

By aftycakes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
aftycakes BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gunna get

Have you ever considered the hazard of using seatbelts and airbags? Are they tools to protect you or deadly weapons of mass destruction? It’s been debated whether or not seatbelts and airbags are for the better or the worse. Research has shown that there are many pros and cons that come from using seatbelts and airbags. Both have positive and negative results. The real question is, are they worth the risk?

What are seatbelts and airbags made to do? To protect us! Statistics have shown that people with airbags and seatbelts have less head injuries. (1) This is good because this means survival rates from car crashes would be higher! Speaking of, there are 26% less deaths with airbags and seatbelts (1), so obviously that’s a plus. Did you know that airbags are good for the environment? Airbags can be recycled! (3) With all this waste in our world, that’s just what we need! Also, obviously both have saved lives before, (4) otherwise why would they be in our cars? A survey taken 2008-2009 shows that seatbelt usage rates have been higher, especially for old people 70+. Up to 86%! Clearly, there are quite a few benefits to using these dandy contraptions!

Although seatbelts and airbags are bright and well meaning, they may not always appear to be that way. Airbags are a hazardous waste. (3) Deployment can cause injuries (4), especially if a child is using it who is not very tall (the reason why children shouldn’t ride shot gun). The system must tell if the car has been in a minor or major crash (4), and what if it’s defective? Airbags take approximately 40 milliseconds to inflate (4), but if it were faster, that would be more comforting. Airbags need a special disposal, and new laws must be created for it, plus recycling them costs money. (3) Seatbelts on the other hand don’t have many cons other than they can hurt fragile old people (3), and anyone for that matter, but a couple bruises vs a life? Also, seatbelt usage has been lowered ages 16-24, says a survey taken 2002-2009. (2) As you can see, there are many negative effects due to airbags, but not so much with seatbelts.

Due to recent facts accumulated, its a no-brainer that seatbelts are the way to go! Seatbelts are practically harmless, and there’s nothing negative about them! On the other hand…airbags are a death wish. All airbags ever do is cause problems! They’re hazardous (3) and cause injuries! (4) Sure they save lives occasionally,  but seriously the negatives FAR outweigh the positives…well positive. Honestly, what’s the use for airbags when there’s seatbelts! They’re often thought of as a team, but its really just the seatbelt keeping you from hitting the dash or the seat in front of you! (videos) Plus, without a seatbelt, one person could kill everyone in the car! (videos) Seriously, it’s not hard to put the strap over yourself! CLEARLY, seatbelts are the bomb and airbags are the devil.

To recap, if it wasn’t already clear enough, seatbelt are life savers. There’s no risk! On the other hand, airbags are just undercover death traps. It’s your choice if you want to use them, but I’d highly suggest you ditch the airbag and stick with seatbelts because that’s the real awesome sauce. Any who, safe driving!

BrandonSVS said...
BrandonSVS,
This is an amazing and helpful article. I am writing my own essay about the same topic, and now I have some pointers. Thanks!